Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3rd Party PDM

outrgous3

Im looking for a simple CAD management system, check-in/out, rev control, just the basics. I'm not sure if Intralink is still available to the Proe user from PTC, and Windchill is too cumbersome and expensive for the company I work for to acquire. PTC seems to be pushing everyone towards Windchill and not supporting a simple solution anymore.

So far I've come across HCS Checkout, GoPDM, and ARAS. Although the last solution looks like it would take some setting up and not be a plug and play option.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with using one of these solutions? Is there another way to work this?

Thanks

Have you tried ProductCenter? Back when I worked for Siemens we used it for simple PDM management. It covers only the basics, but that may be exactly what you are looking for. Back then it didn't fully integrate with Pro/E, though.

I have not used open source software myself, but I have heard some of them get the simple part of the job done without the complications of enterprise-level PLM software.

Hi,

Recently I also went from Intralink to Solidworks
Enterprise PDM (2011).
At the beginning it was difficult to import all Legacy
files, But when everything was there, the life began
easier.
The Solidworks Enterprise PDM offers much more than you
asked and imagine

I just talked to a guy at HawkRidge, our local VAR and he was saying that they haven't been able to get Solidworks Enterprise to work well with Wildfire (Creo). This is in contrast to what I was told a year ago from another guy at the same company, who said it worked great with Wildfire. Just to clarify, you are using Solidworks Enterprise with Wildfire and it works well? Is it integrated within the Wildfire environment?

I run ProE WF 4.0, and I do not use Solidworks Enterprise. I am looking for a 3rd party PDM to ProE. So far I've come across GoPDM, HCS Checkout, and have contacted a rep for Siemens Team Center. We are having a review with them tomorrow to see their capability and costs. I'm trying to keep this as a low budget item hopefully not need all of the database and SQL server requirements that a Winchill would require.

Why would you use ProE and then buy Solidworks Enterprise? Seems a lot easier to keep a single MCAD system and just run with it.

@Outrgous3

PTC still offers INTRALINK and in addition if you're not
working with work-groups, then you may only need PDMLink.
PDMLink is a slimmed down web based data management tool,
providing you with all the control you need from any
location (internet accessible).

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back