Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3d curves

There are many ways to produce 3D curves.

You can create datum points and then create the curve Thru Points.

You can use 2 Projections and sketch a curve as it is seen in 2 different projection planes.

You can create a 3D curve From an Equation.

You can create a 3D curve as the intersection of 2 surfaces.

If you have a more specific question it would be helpful. A good example for curve by equation is to enter the following equations. Choose cylindrical as the coordinate system.

r=5

theta=t*360*10

z=t*4

This will create a helix, or spring looking curve with a constant radius of 5, an overall height of 4 and 10 coils.

To be more specific, i work in a company which designs and manufactures water pumps for engine cooling applications. Many of these pumps have volute inlet/discharge sections. I am looking at how best to achieve a smooth transition between the 2d sections used on the casting drawings.

Also, the sections on these drawings are all in one slice direction only.

To be more specific, i work in a company which designs and manufactures water pumps for engine cooling applications. Many of these pumps have volute inlet/discharge sections. I am looking at how best to achieve a smooth transition between the 2d sections used on the casting drawings.

Also, the sections on these drawings are all in one slice direction only, horizontal?

Also, the sections on these drawings are all in one slice direction only, horizontal?

non-parallel swept blends may be what you are asking for.

these work on 3D curves, where normal sweeps do not.

f

Sketch each section as a datum-curve.

Use a boundary-surface and select each section curve.

General & swept blends will also work but you have the hassle of ensuring each section has to have the same number of geometric entities.

Sketch each section as a datum-curve.

Use a boundary-surface and select each section curve.

General & swept blends will also work but you have the hassle of ensuring each section has to have the same number of geometric entities - if this is easy use a general blend.

If you need extra control of the spanwise shape by incorporating a trajectory use a swept blend..

Volutes can be done nicely with several methods. I think you may want control over the area so you may want to use a swept blend and then you can use the Blend Control option in the modeling dialog box to create an area graph. You can then drive the section to constant area or maybe constant velocity based on an equation for the A-V relationship.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back