Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

32-bit vs 64-bit

vandewinckel

Hello

We're purchasing new workstations. Is there anyone using wildfire 3.0 on a 64-bit system. Is there any differences between 32-bit vs 64-bit.

Thanks

Wildfire3.0 is available for linux 32 bit, but I don't think they built a 64 bit version. Also, the last i heard they are discontinuing support for Linux, so I believe I will be moving to Unigraphics NX, it supports both versions of Linux, and all my IC and circuit tools run much faster on Linux.

Yes there is. 64bit Pro/E can be expected to run around 5-20% slower than on a 32bit system. Unless you're working past the 4Gb limit then it is not recommended that you opt for a 64 bit machine.

Phil

One other thing to consider with the 64bit machines -- printer driver availability. We purchased a 64bit Dell specifically for Pro/E work, only to find out that there were no drivers for our multifunction office printer. The only way to print from this computer is to save a PDF to a network drive and print from another (32 bit) computer.

Dave

Yes it doesn't make sense to offer a 32 bit and not a 64 bit linux version. Possibly they were testing the waters with a low budget. An engineer would not make that mistake. On the bright side though, the NX suite by Unigraphics has a linux 32/64 bit roadmap for the next five years I beleive, and they work well with Mentor (that means electromech/systems natively on linux) Caence should play well too. UG offers nastran, fluid, etc. some 50 products.

vandewinckel,

Since I have to find a Linx solution, I will sell you my license. I don't think there is a difference beteen prices for 32/64 bit, but I did pay more for Linux as I recall.

The maintainence is going to be due here in a week or so, so now is the time to buy it. It you are interested I will find out what the costing structure is, and of course give you a better deal. The licenses work across platforms, and I think I just have to generate one for the OS you are using.

Let me know soon,
Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back