Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Zonal Cross-Sectioning

Do you mean a offset cross section? An offset is the only thing I can think of that lets you create a section across two planes.

Anyway, for a offset section you need to create the section in the model because you have to sketch the profile for the section.

goto your model and click on View->View manager.
Click on section tab.
Click on New.
Give it a name and hit enter.
Click on offset
Click Done.
Select your sketching plane, and reference.

Draw lines where you want the section to go through. Make sure to over extend the lines the go outside the part. Most likely there are references to select to help you draw your lines but you can also dimension if needed.

Now on the drawing side, create a view and select section from the menu on the left of the view window, click on 2D cross-section and click on the Add icon. Your section that you created in the model should be listed as an option. Select it and from the Sectioned area pull down you can select to view it full or even unfold the view.

No, thats not whatI meant. Anyways, try chooising the zone option when creating a cross section from View manager.

And what do you mean by "unfold the view"?

Ok, maybe you answered your own question then.

You can unfold a offset section view. Try the above. When you make your sketch, sketch two lines that are at an angle from each other. You'll see what I'm talking about.

What version of Pro/E are you using?

If you are on Wildfire 3 then in the View option window that comes up when you goto create a new view, click on the Category "Section" on the left and create a 2D cross-section. There is a pull down menu labeled "Sectioned area". You should be able to select it from there.

You can apply a partial view in the Category label "Visible View". It defaults to Full view, you can change it to Partial view and click on the view where you want to keep in the view and then start clicking around (drawing a spline) the area you want to keep in the view. Make sure the red X (where you click on the view) is inside the spline you created. By the way, to stop drawing the spline, click the middle mouse button.

smiley1.gif

Edited by: andrewsilecchia

You mean to tell me that when an option is grayed out, Its not available?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that I was forced to solve your limited knowledge of Pro/E. Heres a piece of advice, don't bit the hand that is feeding you.

Yet, really it should just make a zonal cross-section if there is option to do a zone cross section. So, really my knowledge of Pro/E isn't where the limits are placed.

Anyways, thanks for you help! I had called the Pro-E Help Line and still no answer on that one. Maybe, you should become a representative for PTC.
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back