Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Youtube Videos

Watching Creo 1.0 - Learn Creo by modifying this Harley Davidson Passenger Seat modified using

Definitely want to turn off that mouse-click. But looks like a great

I fixed them. I'm always learning ;)

Anyone see that Bottom End Bracket? I have an entire bicycle made this way for the class. Wicked Modeling workflow!
Edited by: design-engine

I was messing around with Freestyle it when I first got Creo wondering how the hell I could make something that looks half way decent. Your workflow in that video was pretty awesome. I guess I'm too used to blends & sweeps. When's the next surfacing class?

mgnt8 said:
I was messing around with Freestyle it when I first got Creo wondering how the hell I could make something that looks half way decent. Your workflow in that video was pretty awesome. I guess I'm too used to blends & sweeps.

Still have to see the videos, but it's probably easier to get to grips with freestyle if you have previously done some modeling in Lightwave or MODO or other SubD based software... I learned SubD BEFORE Nurbs modeling (sweeps and blends etc) and I think in many cases nurbs are far better and easier to control, but the integration of nurbs and subD looks promising, one thing I always hated of LW or MODO is that you can't "trim" subD surfaces as you do with nurbs...

Paolo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-z9Cex_7tU&feature=related < the bottom end bracket. Notice how i delete the face of the ends of each tube. When I model the entire bicycle I don't remove those faces.

However if you do remove those faces like I did in the video, the workflow is just like you would imagine. Tying ISDX geometry into the geometry.You can project and trim Sub'D surfaces i Creo just like any surface. That's a big difference from other Sub'D modelers like Modo or Maya. In Maya you can convert from Polygon to Sub'D to Nurbs. Creo just converts automatically so we don't have to think about that as a part of our workflow.

If anyone is in Chicago and wants to stop over at Design engine over the holidays, Ill be here preparing for January training classes. Stop over and say hi. Ill be happy to give you an hour crash course.

Greg, if you want to know when the next surfacing class is???? we do the one week surfacing class every fourth week of each month.

I have a bang up 'freestyle surfacing 2 day class' and you can have that any time you wish.http://proetools.com/courses/pro-surf ace/prosurface-level-10surface-freestyle-creo-sub-d-modelingNo one has asked for it yet ;) and you would probably be the only one in the class.

design-engine said:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-z9Cex_7tU&feature=relat ed[/url] < the bottom end bracket. Notice how i delete the face of the ends of each tube. When I model the entire bicycle I don't remove those faces.

Great videos, and I like freestyle tools in Creo they are very good (and I have experience in SubD modeling...). It's great that SubDs are integrated in Nurbs modeling, also a small caveat regarding continuity: in your model you have some extraordinary points (like at the intersection of the three "tubes" where a single point is shared by 6 edges), in these points C2 continuity may be compromised, but you are still granted C1 continuity. This is just to specify that sometimes SubDs are limited in what can be obtained in terms of surface smoothness, but then, you can always "patch" the offending point with a nurbs trim ;D

Paolo

just found out T-spline is acquired by Autodesk. that means
this kind of modeling is now really in the spotlight.only
solidworks will remain in the dark now.
smiley4.gif

I visited T-Splines when I was in Utah last and met w/ the owners son. He has been in our Chicago office on several occasions too. I played with the T-Spline plug in for Solidworks.

So your telling me that since Autodesk purchased t-splines that they are done with those plugin now?

I always looked at Autodesk as the evil empire. When they announced the purchase Alias and Maya years ago, I took the entire day off and went mountain biking. Our current Alias & Maya instructor has a similar story but involved hard alcohol.In hind site it seams like the Autodesk purchase of Alias Wavefront was not such a bad thing. They have sunk $'s into the development and it's a better product because of that development.

I am speaking at the Utah Jan 19th Pro/E user conference. Ill be sure to get a dinner with the T-Spines guys while I'm there.

when autodesk acquired MoldFlow, the first thing they did
was to pull the plug on their solidworks plugin
(MoldFlowXpress) so my guess is that they will do the same
with tsElements.

Edited by: solidworm

What I love about TSplines is that they can selectively enrich a subd surface, and they are "compatible" with nurbs, but then even subds in Creo are now compatible with nurbs so this point is less "important". I still see TSplines as a tool for "organical" modeling, but still some of the comparison material puzzles me: see this image

waterpot.jpg

So the left one has a lot of patching for continuity etc, while the right one is "smooth" (or is it not, with that 5 edges vertex where the neck meets the body???)... Anyway the right one has lost "control" in many ways, the left one has clearly a low number of generating curves that define the shape and design intent (a curve for the main profile, a curve for the neck, a couple curves for the aperture and i think many curves for the handle. If you want to tweak the left one, you just change these curves, good luck on tweaking the right one ;D

Another example is this:

cup.jpg

This ability to add detail is great from a SubD point of view, but in Creo now you could simply trim away the square portion and rebuild it with nurbs curves and surfaces.

So yes, I'd like to see every advanced modeling technique implemented in Creo, but I'm not drinking the tale of the complete superiority of Tsplines over Nurbs ;)

Paolo

I am all about the Sub'D workflow. It like anything takes an aggressive approach to learning... and practice.

With respect to the fist. Aggressive approach to learning, that's what we're about at Desing-engine. Make it as engaging as possible... which is why at lunch today I'm making a video on how to get Megan Fox on the back of your Harley for a 4 hour motorcycle ride. She might say no. What can we do to get her on the back.

Ill post my solution on YouTube in a few hours ... after lunch today.

I tried to trim out a starpoint and patch it with boundary blend, just to test how it behaves.it's ok with point continuity but the patch distorts when i try to apply curvature continuity to boundaries.ofcourse adding some guide curves may help.

any suggestions other than that?
2011-12-24_033026_starpnt.prt.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back