Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wrap Text - Then What?!?

IdeaZonePD

I am trying to create an engraving on a model of a ring (as in jewelry). I want to put several lines of text on the ring (i.e. 50+ characters). I can get the text to wrap around the ring just fine, but then what?! I'm at a loss to know what ProE had in mind for what I could do with the curves next!

Obviously I would like to use either the "Thicken" tool (to create the cut), or I would even settle for the "Offset" feature. But the Thicken tool requires a quilt (which I don't have, because I only have curves). The Offset feature lets me choose "Sketched Region" but instead of being allowed to just select the curves (which seems logical to me), it forces me into Sketcher, which is no help.

The only method I have found so far is to Trim the surface using the Curves. But the Trim tool doesn't let me select all of the curves at once (too intuitive, I know), I'm forced to select each "loop" of the text one at a time. This means I will have a Model Tree with 50+ trim features (probably more because of letters like "A" and "O" and "R").

I'm so frustrated with ProE for screwing up what should be an incredibly simple operation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Myles
Edited by: IdeaZonePD

Cutting text into a model is tedious at best. Unfortunately, I think you've found the only real way to do so - make a surface, trim it to each letter individually and then using the thicken command.

I'd check your accuracy settings now. You're going to be creating tiny edges and depending on the size of the part and your accuracy settings, it may refuse to thicken. I'd make sure you're using absolute accuracy and set it at 0.0001" as a starting point.

Sorry, didn't catch the part about the ring. How about creating the text in a separate part then toroidal bending it? Then bring the text and ring into an assembly. Then merger or cutout.

I'm assuming his text is turned 90 degrees relative to your image and that it wraps farther around the cylinder. If it doesn't wrap far, your method works well, but the father the wrap, the more distortion you'll get.

Thanks, everyone, for the the feedback. mgnt8, I've never tried a toroidal bend, so I might have to look at that one. Doug, you're correct, I'm trying to engrave around the circumference of a ring band. I guess the Surface Trim tool might be my best bet.

I've actually just come across a new problem. Apparently the Text tool in Sketcher has a character limit of 79 (random number). Does anyone know if there is a way to over-ride the character limit of the text tool?

Thanks,

Myles

You can relate it to a parameter, maybe that will help. Or maybe it'll truncate it at 79 characters ...

I am not familiar with toroidal bend. But I have used Spinal bend in the past and it works for this case. See below for a picture of text with spinal bend. You will have to sketch the arc along which the text will be bent. Be sure to make the length of the arc exactly same as the length of the text (first letter to last). Just search for on youtube for spinal bend. There is a great video by Leo Greene onit.

View attachment 5062

Just thought I would give an update on how I decided to do the project. I played around with the Spinal Bend for a little bit, and it almost does what I want. In fact, the only thing it can't do (wrap more than one time around the ring), is negated by the fact that the Text tool has a character limit. So even if it could, I wouln't be able to use it with a single line of text.

But using the Spinal Bend will save hours if I ever decide to do another one of these. I can do in 5 minutes what it would probably take 30 minutes to do with the Surface Trim tool (having to pick each individual letter to trim with).

Thanks again.

Myles

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back