Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Windchill vs DDM - which one

deedub777

Yes it's that discussion again
smiley19.gif
Apologies for bringing it up again however I have managed to put off this decision far too long.

Having used Intralink 3.X at previous companies (as a User and Admin) I started a new role and installed PDMlink as a new customer.

This was my first experience with PDMlink8.0 and had a massive struggle with it. I am told that the functionality has improved over the past 12 months - is this true? I also tried to evaluate DDM but could not dedicate enough time to it.

So what is the view from users now?

I would definately make the time for DDM. You'll be amazed how easy it is to get it installed and running. It also uses floating licenses and not named users. You can have the server and client installed, and be importing data in less than 4 hours.

ddm_user said:
I would definately make the time for DDM. You'll be amazed how easy it is to get it installed and running. It also uses floating licenses and not named users. You can have the server and client installed, and be importing data in less than 4 hours.

Thanks Simon

I believe that you would be at significant risk if you implemented a PLM solution that was not a PTC product. This has less to do with features and functionality as it does with the fact that PTC has kicked out of their development program every PLM "partner" that presents a threat.

In reviewing the PTC Partner page, it seems that DDM is no longer a recognized partner.

Good luck!

I agree with Mike_T. One of the PLM partners got discontinued back in august

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/2007/08/ptc-blows-off so.html

Heppleman is in the strategic drivers seat at PTC and he founded windchillbefore it was aquired by PTC.

because of I8.0 we were looking at alternatives. DDM was easy to get installed and get started. It was a little different than INTRALINK 3.x. My main fear was that it was not a PTC product.

Intralink 8.0 was a complete waste of time other thantraining for Intralink 9.X+.

I was able to getI9.0 installed on the first try.It was a good start but there's alot more to do before migration. I9.1 will be the earliest that we will migrate. I would be happier with Intralink 10.0

joe

We liked the fact that DDM was not tightly involved with PTC from a partner standpoint. They use their normal toolkit to develop the interface. The fact that companies believe they are forced to use PTC PLM products is completely wrong. They need to explore the cost of ownership from all fronts and determine which product best fits their needs. Some companies can't afford to have the staff on hand or pay high priced consultants to manage their data or workflows.

Users should not have to think about data or process management, but rather concentrate on their products design and management. My two cents worth!

My understanding from the blog posting that Joe Barnes references above is that:

The effect of PTC not allowing SofTech to renew in their Program means that SofTech will no longer have the right to use PTC

Dear All,

It is always interesting to follow your discussions on data management. I dont normally contribute but I thought I should answer the above question.

As the developers of DDM we have fully licensed and supportedPro/ENGINEER and Pro/ENGINEER toolkit licenses that are commercially available. We are not and have never been development partners of PTC. Development partners do have access to licenses and toolkits in the same way that we have access to our purchased and fully supported licenses and toolkits.

We have been developingDDM for 10 years nowin support of many3D modeling solutions on the market. I do not want to get into conversations about a level playing field but I do think it is good to have choice.

Regards and happy Christmas holidays to all,
Joe McBurnie
Managing Director
http://www.DesignDataManager.com

deedub77, made any progress or decision yet?

The choice of PDM depends on the size of the company, number of users and what you want to get from the system. We've been using DDM for over a year now, to control the data for 4 seats of Pro/Engineer, and it does exactly what we need of it - version control of the cad data.

DDM has other functionality that can be rolled out to non-Pro/E users, and I am investigating that at the moment - to control the other day-to-day documents that we produce as an engineering company. We will also look at using it for our ECN process, issuing and checking, etc - it has a visual workflow that can be used to achieve this.

Why was DDM selected - it was substantially cheaper and faster to get up and running. Am I worried that PTC will come in and close us down by pulling the plug on CSI? Not really, they have been around long enough and DDM works with other CAD systems. If PTC attempt to stifle this competition in this way, then I'll seriously consider joining the ranks of SolidWorks users instead!!

Cheers,

Greg
Seamap (UK) Ltd

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back