Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Windchill/PDMLink - backup process help

afuller

WDP currently uses PDMlink 8 build M040 as it's data management tool. Note that we have a Windchill server in the US and one in China. With that said, the problem we have is backup time. My IT guy is telling me the backup process is taking 3.5 to 4 hours to complete. With China being 14 hours ahead ofus, this makes the Windchill/PDMlink system unavailable for them until 10:30 or 11:00 a.m. which is unacceptable. The IT guy also states he is finding millions of small files which is what's causing the long backup time. If it was a few large files, it wouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have a thought about shortening backup time in this situation? Is there a way togroup the files and run a series of backups instead of one big one? If anyone can point me toward a "how to" or "best practices" document I would appreciate. I'm also considering a move to Windchill/PDMlink 9, are there any improvements in it that would help with this issue? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back