Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wind Turbine Blade Issue

MuhammadHaris

Hello Guys, My Name Is Haris ... I'm Currently Having A
Issue/Problem Regarding Wind Turbine Blade Design In
Pro/Engineer Wild Fire 4 ...

Here, I've Given A Link To Download The Issue I'm Having

http://www.mediafire.com/?s6l99mv86d1b9uk
Compressed File
98.8 kB

In Image File 'WindBlade (After).jpg' I Want To Show That
The Red Portion Is Needed To Be Removed From The Part ...
I've Also Attached The Part File (.prt) ...

I've No Idea How To Remove That Specific Part ...
Dimensions Are Not Mandatory Here To Be Mentioned, Just
Tell Me How Can I Remove The RED Portion ...

I'll be Very Thankful ... :) :)
Edited by: MuhammadHaris

Here is one way using a VSS with a Constant Normal Direction.

<a href="http://santangelo-eng.com/proe_tuts/QND_turbine_blade_001.swf%20" target="_blank" target="_blank">Link to Video (8.7 MB)
</a>Right click the above link to "Save Target As..." and save the video to your local computer for later REF.

http://santangelo-eng.com/proe_tuts/QND_turbine_blade_001.sw f

You could also use a Swept blend to create the cut. I chose the VSS that goes thru the CSYS because the center of the radius of Sketch 1. This way the Surface created will be normal to the surface of Extrude 1.

Edited by: jsantangelo

wtb999 said:
Here is another way using VSS. Just to show the versatility

of the VSS tool. I love it.

Also note the slightly faster way of creating curve on

surface.

http://screencast.com/t/nnZYVIxdse

Nice. I thought about doing it that way but I didn't want to have a Degenerate Surface due to the converging point of the two trajectories.

Using pictures is nice but there's just something about using the video screen capture that helps people learn better I think.

Edited by: jsantangelo

jsantangelo said:
Using pictures is nice but there's just something about using the video screen capture that helps people learn better I think.

well, I should be thanking you for directing me to Jing. Its pretty awesome and easy to use.

speaking of diff ways of doing this cut, I guess you could also create
curve on the back face of the blade, then do a boundary blend between the two curves and then
solidify.

jsantangelo said:
Nice. I thought about doing it that way but I didn't want to have a Degenerate Surface due to the converging point of the two trajectories.

James - could you please elaborate more on what exactly are degenerate surfaces and is that a bad thing? (sounds like it is)

A degenerate surface is basically a 3 sided surface. I called it a Degenerate Surface because if you look at the mesh of the surface you will see it degenerate into a single point or singularity. Like this:

View attachment 5037
The reason why it's bad is that you are then limited by what you can do with it. It will have trouble offsetting, extending, shelling etc. That is why you see all these exotic posts on how to deal with 3 sided surfaces.

Bart from designengine would say, "3 part boundaries are improper use of surfacing. Bad bad bad." He teaches in his surfacing class ways to avoid them and why. If Bart comes in on this thread maybe he will divulge a better answer.

Hey thanks for the info James. I searched for threads on
this topic and went thru a few. Will have to take some
time to read through others. Found the quote by Bart
verbatim in one of the threads.
smiley36.gif

Its scary for me to find stuff that I dont know I dont
know.

One question - I got reading on Geometric (Gn) continuity
and Curvature (Cn) continuity. It got too detailed
mathematically for me. There seems to be a bit of a
difference between those two mathematically. Is there any
difference from point of view of a CAD user?

wtb999 said:
Its scary for me to find stuff that I dont know I dont

know.

One question - I got reading on Geometric (Gn) continuity

and Curvature (Cn) continuity. It got too detailed

mathematically for me. There seems to be a bit of a

difference between those two mathematically. Is there any

difference from point of view of a CAD user?

It's not that bad. Unless you are an Industrial Designer that works for Apple or Car Body modeler then Curvature Continuous splines/geometry may not be that important to you. It might come into play if you do fluid dynamics but I haven't touched that stuff since college so I'm not sure.

There was a poster named Jeff4136 that has awesome insight to that stuff. If you are interested go though his old posts. There is a ton of great information to harvest. I re-visited his posts after I got a bit more into surfacing and it started to make more sense. I wish he still posted as I have had questions pop up in my mind I would have loved to ask him.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back