Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

wildfire 6.0

design-engine

I have to get this out before I get on the surfacing technical committee on thrusday. I saw a demo of Wildfire 6.0 at the International Conference. The person doing the demo did not have a workflow technology but the tool..... Sub'D or Tsplines in Pro/ENGINEER. cool stuff for proving form in Pro/ENGINEER!

Google Sub'D or Tsplines.

Design Engine teaches Maya Sub'D often and import that geometry int Pro/E .... Solidify and shell. Cool stuff.

Edited by: design-engine

Tsplines sound a little more like working with packages like 3ds max ? Sounds great anyway, but I guess it will be an addition to the ISDX package and cost an extra $25000,0000,00000
smiley36.gif

SubD or t-splines in pro/E?sweeet!!
smiley4.gif
Save a seat for me in the first WF 6 surfacingclass
smiley2.gif

About T-splines, on http://www.tsplines.com you can download a plugin to maya and create cool shapes using t.splines there, kind offun
smiley4.gif

Good luck on the conference, would realy like to hear more about a-class surfacing in pro/E .
Edited by: tobbo

A good tool for proving out form for industrial designers.

In the past i think PTC has limited its growth for specific workflow. For example this tool in Maya does not allow for specific parting lines or parting surfaces. There are a couple of techniques for creating parting lines in Maya.... I doubt PTC will obtain this work flow or technique and integrate it into the wf6 tool. secondly to maintain symmetry... There are probably 4 points I could make in free form tools where workflow and modeling technique are compromised (maybe the wrong word) however using freeform surface manipulation in Wildfire and prior releases pails in comparison to Alias Studio workflows. Let me explain. A four part boundary: A curve as control vertices's and so does a surface. If a curve has 5 cv (control vertices's) so does its surface. the other direction may have 3 cv's on the curve and so does its surface. I want to grab four cv's of the surface in Alias I just make a window and start pulling. In pro/E I have to go thru a whole load of painful selection set creation tools to get the same selection.

If that is any indication as to how the Sub'D tool will work I will get my ass handed to me in a sling when I try to get seasoned industrial designers to use the tool in training.

This is very good news, but if I'm not mistaken, we still have quite a wait for
WF 5.0 before we get around to WF 6.0.

Any news/rumors on WF 5.0?

tom

Wildfire 5.0 is completed and the only changes PTC makes will be standard bug fixes. I heard a number for proe production but that date did not register. WF 6.0 is still open to enhancements.

I go on in 15 min. Guess I should get on with my talk.

I guess & Hope your speech is all over now Bart. Hope it went well for you and not too much tomato throwing in your direction
smiley18.gif
lol.

I gonna rant here a little

I think I stay with WF 2.0 and XP till WF 7.0. Same with XP(rumors are Microsoft is working on succesor of Vista, becouse it sucks[this is my and only my opinion, I am not curious of Yours
smiley2.gif
]

same I see with Pro\e - many little changes in small range of time introduced to users. I would wait till whole interface would have been finished and then switch and catch it out at once.

I am very happy I can avoid this - new version update training becaouse of few enhancment I won`t use at all

Anyway Bart, Do You know why guys of ICEM work now for the Desault(A-class module for Catia)? Why does PTC left to colaborate with them on ISDX?

Hey Jacek, I agree that sometimes jumping into new releases isnt worth the effort, however I certainly like some of the additional changes made within WF4 since WF2. You can always install WF2 & WF4 on the same machine
smiley2.gif

Agree also that Vists is Pants !! Nowt wrong with XP.

I am curious when they finaly take sketcher module and modify it to bring some cute funcs. to life:

*dynamic "real" curvature" plot for spline in sketcher - jeff had right, current func, of it pisses mit each time I have to use Analisys > Curvature

*Datum curve menu - man, I think this pop menu is elder than me! How long PTC told me to wait until this is done. I wonder if PTC consider new changes only for ISDX. That is not fair

*tangnet curve display - I do know this SW/Catia current trendy item, but it looks to me eye candy too, and I do want to have possibity to turn this on in Pro/E rather then toogle colours with "Color and Appearence" menu

now I am officially on the surfacing technical committee I cant say anything any more... One thing I can say is those PTC guys are smart as hell.

And anytime I suggest modifications to the sketcher functional they inform me that I have to make the suggestion into a different room number.... "You have to take that up with the Core functionality team in room 104"

Hi Bart,

I got excited then realised it was an old thread with a new reply.

In
any case Hi from NZ.

Saw you at the 2010 Orlando Conference. I came in a bit late (pit stop)
to your "Exploring new design modification Workflow using WF5" and was lost within minutes. My problem, not yours. Seems this was mainly ISDX and we got burned with this way back in the R2001 days (in relation to ongoing ProE model stability) and have not used it since. It was the sort of presentation that would have set our ID guys on fire.

Back to Sketcher. WF5 was a definite step forward.
T.C.s; I only get to one conference every few years so hard to keep up (Joel is very patient in my Sheet Metal TC)

Regards. Brent

design-engine said:
And anytime I suggest modifications to the sketcher functional they inform me that I have to make the suggestion into a different room number.... "You have to take that up with the Core functionality team in room 104"

This sounds like a huge company with very poor departamental communication where each dept trys to fend for themselves which leaves them sometimes feeling like they are enemies. You could have the smartest people in the world but if they are separated by departments with no good consistent flow of communication chaos will ensue.

If I had my Pro/wish I would want stability, user/company flexibilty (because everybody/company isdifferent...as is very apparent on these forums), dwg as easy as sketcher,and to make ProE tables (repeat regions or not)the same as excel (copy paste multiple boxes/cells, arrow key to edit adjacent cells, formulas, importing/copying from excel, etc). I think these would be my first & favorite 4 changes.

Oh, and for those blasted BOM blns to be better configurablemore logically automated upon insertion (placement wise). I spend way too much time pulling a bln from tim-buck-to back to next to the component being pointed out and then attaching it to a x-sectional edge (a real edge not like the surface it mentions in the config options).

Also I would love for the symbol creation to have more options like renaming groups, copying and pasting groups, reordering groups seting a default group selection, turning off particular groups to make them temporarily inaccesable to leave future options blocked until product availability, and so on. Creating standard ISO symbols for our particular products are very tedious do to this lack of functionality.

maybe I should have posted this in rant and rave, but for the most part I like ProE, I just get frustrated at its lack of configurability/options and the restrictions it puts on drafting. I hope this will be approved upon in Creo.
Edited by: LOOregano

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back