Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 4.0 > U3D pdf file = WOW !

Dell_Boy said:
dr_gallup said:
Have you tried it with a family table instance of an assembly? I tried Acrobat 8 3D with WF2 (Acrobat making the 3D PDF, not Proe/E) and it was totally FUBAR with family table assemblies. Hopefully making the file from within Pro/E is be a lot better.

Dr Gallup, there is something seriously screwed with your setup. I am using Adobe 8 3D to make 3D pdf of assemblies of up to 3,500 components including all sorts of part and assembly instances and so far it has pretty much performed flawlessly. When I first tried the Pro/E native version in WF4 C000 the export was not great with a large file size, a faulty spin centre but most importantly a flat model tree with renamed component names which in a large assembly is a disaster to navigate.

DB
DB - Are you using Adobe to open the file from disk or are you using it in the "screen capture" with Pro/E running? Opening a Pro/E assembly from disk caused the corrupt geometry with instances. I did not have instance accelerator files, don't know if that makes a difference. I also tried the screen capture. In that case all the geometry came in fine but it lost all the named views, model names, assembly structure, etc. I was using the pre-release 8 free 30 day demo, maybe it's better now.

Dr_Gallup,

I was thinking about this while I was driving home from work today. Almost certainly the cause of your problems is that you haven't made the accelerator files accessible to Adobe.

I use the Create PDF/From file method which is probably what you mean by the "open file from disk" however the files I use are created especially in a single folder using the Pro/E backup function and all the necessary accelerator files are in this folder rather than having to worry about maintain search paths in Adobe.

I first tried the demo in September 07 not long after I heard about/tried WF4 C000 and it worked fine for me then.

Adobe is not the only "viewer" program to need accelerator files; Autovue also requires them to build 3D models.

DB

I'll get another free download, Acrobat 9 just came out & try it with accelerator files. We don't normally make them because they create soooo many files.

Dell_Boy said:
I admit to having NEVER used 7.0 Does it do 3D like 8 does? I remember seeing something on the Adobe website about needing 8.1 or better but maybe that was because their demo files were saved in the newer format

DB

Acrobat 3D began with version 7. They demo'd at the PTC conference last year. You can drag and drop a proe part from Windows Explorer to Acrobat 3D window and it will convert. Rumor is Adobe might enter the CAD sector.

SolidWorks distributes 3d drawings and it costs a lot less for Solid Works for the eDrawings Professional which allows anotations and sections to be viewed or created. Pro/E and many other apps have 3d viewers or xml view modes.

Michael

mjcole_ptc said:
SolidWorks distributes 3d drawings and it costs a lot
less for Solid Works for the eDrawings Professional

I think you have missed the point. The export to 3D pdf comes FREE with WF4 however some people can't wait for PTC to sort out the bugs with it and Adobe 3D reads sooooo many native CAD formats

I have been less than impressed with the performance of e-drawings for viewing large assemblies. This probably isn't a concern for SoiledWorks users because they struggle with large assemblies themselves.

As an example take the "cross section" sample from their website at

http://files.solidworks.com/eDrawings/samples/crosssection.z ip

Spinning the assembly is really quite clunky and the CPU usage is horrendous for such a pissy little assembly. I think Adobe have a very good chance of putting e-drawings out of business.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Ive never really been a fan of edrawings. If adobe are interested in
approaching the 3D / Cad markets then I welcome it with open arms, they
seem to do most other things particulary well
smiley4.gif

Ive made great use of this 3D export feature already. I think the very
regular shouts from the offie to technical staff " how do I do this ", " what
size is this ", " whats the dimensions of this " etc etc will be cut down
considerably in the future
smiley2.gif

Adobe does a good job and we should thank them for removing that annoying add from this site.

The multiple display modes that can be used can show the models quite well. The access you get to the Assembly Tree to show hide components is good as well.

You can also do dynamic Cross Sections quite easily whic I haven't seen in Pro/E yet.

I think you can also set passwords and make a file accessible for a specified period of use. If you want to share an entire assembly but protect certain data there is an export single Level option which if created from an Assembly containing the Top Level assembly in it. You can restrict control to only allow view all or view none.

Michael

Idownloaded Acrobat 9.0 trial and still no luck with 3D dimensions. When I create from file, the dims are there but the leaders & title block are gone. When I save to U3D PDF, the poster shows dims, notes, and title block, but the model has nothing. When I save to just U3D, nothing at all. Looks like they still have a ways to go in this area. Anybodyable toexport3D drawings to transfer manufacturing data.

displaying the file in Adobe Viewer is sooooooo slow. (And I've got a new pc...)

Anyone got any tips to speed it up ?

I like the idea, but wouldn't send a pdf to a client now when he is experiencing speed issues like this..

Anyone here know how to manipulate the coordinate in the u3d pdf?
I'd like to move it to the center of the part.

thanks

I'm curious about this as well. There doesn't seem to be an option to set the coordiante system or the spin center at the creation of the PDF.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back