Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 4.0 > U3D pdf file = WOW !

[-Skint-]

WOW !!

Has anybody else used this yet. Im very impressed. I can now create my 3d models and send them via a .pdf file, and anybody using Acrobat Reader can rotate, spin, zoom etc and change the shading options etc on my model.

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

File - Save a copy - U3D pdf

I was introduced to this a few weeks ago at a Wf4 launch conference and I completly forgot about it ( my crappy notes ). Glad I found it again, what a great feature !

Hey Jacek,

No.. It can be used with Standard Acrobat Reader.. thats what I find amazing with it
smiley4.gif

I just created a series of pdf files of some of our products. I put them on the network so that Our Internal Sales Staff can now view what it is they are selling, because as usual, most of our sales staff have no real idea what the products are haha.

Now when they are confused, or have a customer specific question, they can open up the relevent .pdf file and view the 3d model.

Very Very Clever. Give it a go
smiley17.gif

Im actually using Acrobat Writer 8.0 Full. I have tried it on another machine with Acrobat Reader 6 though and it worked. Time you had an update
smiley1.gif

I wonder, is anybody aware if Solidworks, or any other comparable application can do this yet ?

Another string to the Pro-e vs Solidworks Bow
smiley17.gif

[-Skint- said:
]

I wonder, is anybody aware if Solidworks, or any other comparable application can do this yet ?

Another string to the Pro-e vs Solidworks Bow
smiley17.gif

I've lost count of the ways that ProE is better than Solidreeks (This is the point Jelston gets annoyed at me again, even though its been months since I had a go at SW)

Kev

Have you tried it with a family table instance of an assembly? I tried Acrobat 8 3D with WF2 (Acrobat making the 3D PDF, not Proe/E) and it was totally FUBAR with family table assemblies. Hopefully making the file from within Pro/E is be a lot better.

You do need newer versions of Acrobat viewer, there are 2 different Acrobat 3D file types and the better one requires an newer viewer. Acrobat does not tell the person trying to opne the file that their viewer does not support the 3D data which I think is a mistake on Abode's fault.

Aybody tried it with 3D notes? I think that was an issue awhile back when I was messing around with the first Acrobat 3D, sometimes it worked with screen print, sometimes not. Now Adobe has a new file format like Dr. G said. I would try it now but my pro/e session is locked up with rendering for most of the rest of the day.

Wow that is nice,

3d notes only appear in sort of a snap shot, once you go in 3d mode you lose the notes. You can hide or highlight parts of an assembly, change the rendering mode, and view all the saved views. You can even take measurements.

The only part I don't like is that I can't properly rotate the assembly, it does rotate but it seems like the spin center is way too far from the assembly...it's weird.

Denis

DL_allainmfg said:
3d notes only appear in sort of a snap shot, once you go in 3d mode you lose the notes.

Too bad. If they can get 3D dimensions to somehow stick and be reasonably viewable, then we can finally get rid of 2D prints once and for all.

mgnt8 said:
DL_allainmfg said:
3d notes only appear in sort of a snap shot, once you go in 3d mode you lose the notes.

Too bad. If they can get 3D dimensions to somehow stick and be reasonably viewable, then we can finally get rid of 2D prints once and for all.

How nice that would be
smiley4.gif

dr_gallup said:
Have you tried it with a family table instance of an assembly? I tried Acrobat 8 3D with WF2 (Acrobat making the 3D PDF, not Proe/E) and it was totally FUBAR with family table assemblies. Hopefully making the file from within Pro/E is be a lot better.

Dr Gallup, there is something seriously screwed with your setup. I am using Adobe 8 3D to make 3D pdf of assemblies of up to 3,500 components including all sorts of part and assembly instances and so far it has pretty much performed flawlessly. When I first tried the Pro/E native version in WF4 C000 the export was not great with a large file size, a faulty spin centre but most importantly a flat model tree with renamed component names which in a large assembly is a disaster to navigate.

dr_gallup said:
You do need newer versions of Acrobat viewer, there are 2 different Acrobat 3D file types and the better one requires an newer viewer. Acrobat does not tell the person trying to opne the file that their viewer does not support the 3D data which I think is a mistake on Abode's fault.

If you use a version of Reader prior to 8.1 you will only get the "screenshot" and I pre-warn recipients they need to update because the 3D is so friggin awesome.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

DL_allainmfg said:
Wow that is nice,

Like the export of model parameters, 3D notes in Adobe 3D are a selectable option and they stay there in 3D mode unless you want to get rid of them.

2008-06-26_061735_demo.zip

DB

The internet is a far nicer place in FF3

Nice demo DB, thanks. The spin centre works fine on your model, which suggests it may be my fault for shoddy modelling haha.

3D notes being displayed makes it superb !!

Dell_Boy said:
If you use a version of Reader prior to 8.1 you will only get the "screenshot" and I pre-warn recipients they need to update because the 3D is so friggin awesome.

DB

True, but if you chose to save the file in U3D ECMA 1 instead of ECMA 3 its compatible with reader 7.0
(have no idea if this is possible inside pro/e, but its an option in Acrobat 3D)

The demo was done in Adobe 3D which reads the native Pro/E files. It is also the reason why the spin centre is in the right place.

For those using Pro/E to create the pdf and ending up with a crappy spin centre, try using Part Options/Fit Visible to see if that improves things.

ankarl said:
True, but if you chose to save the file in U3D ECMA 1 instead of ECMA 3 its compatible with reader 7.0 (have no idea if this is possible inside pro/e, but its an option in Acrobat 3D)

I admit to having NEVER used 7.0 Does it do 3D like 8 does? I remember seeing something on the Adobe website about needing 8.1 or better but maybe that was because their demo files were saved in the newer format

Hey, I just tried saving the file in U3D ECMA 1 and most of the useful option check boxes were greyed out.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back