Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 4.0 Student Edition on Vista x64

nickg

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying Wildfire 4.0 Student Edition and installing it on Windows Vista Home Premium x64. ProE's website says it only supports x32 bit Vista. Has anyone tried to install on Vista x64, and if so did you have any success?

Thanks,

Nick

Yep Ive got exactly the same problem, I've emailed Journey Education, but they just say "Maybe you will find any information in some bulletin board" brilliant...

surely somebody knows, even if PTC would just say no it doesn't work...

Yep,

I have WF4.0 schools edition running on Vista 64 bit and it runs just fine. Unlike that "other" program (solidworks) Pro E installs on 64 bit right into the x86 (32 bit) programs folder and runs just fine. I can't say the same thing about Solidworks. For that I bought the student edition after JourneyEd told me it would run just fine and got it went to install it and the stupid thing says you will have to buy the 64 bit version which of course is not available from Dassault in anything but the full blown xgrand professional version. Thank god PTC doesn't screw their student population like that. In fact I got my student edition from Pro E completely free with no expiration date (like that solidworks two years than screwed service) just because my school is an official Pro E school and purchases the program for student use. Some nice things about Solidworks, I won't be critical about the program itself, but their student relationship stinks!

The moral of this story is unlike SW you won't have a problem.

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and bought WF4 Student, and it works just fine.

Just for the record, i'm running Wildfire 4.0 Student Edition M020 , on Vista64 Home Premium, Core i7 and an ATI HD 4870.

My spacemouse works fine as well just that the icon at the lower right on the taskbar misbehaves but I can get into the control panel with no problem in the usual fashion.

Is there a different 64-bit edition of Pro/E? If the standard version is
designed for 32-bit, I'm wondering if it would be pointless to get the 12GB
ram I was about to get. 32-bit Windows gives apps a max of like 3GB or
something so I'm wondering if 32-bit Pro/E is not able to take advantage of
the additional ram.
Edited by: 2ms1

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back