Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Why in the FREAK....

jelston

Why in the freak does this program put balloons where the freak it wants to? If I click on a surface, in a certain spot, it probably because I want my filled dot to be right there, not over in a far corner. And I don't want the balloon off the page. GEEESSH!

Are you selecting the correct references? When you place dimensions, notes, etc.. in the drawing; it's hard to know what reference you are selecting because its in 2D. What you think is the front edge could be the back. This is why I place everything in the 3D model. I had the same issue when I first started using Proe and I could not figure out why this was happening until someone pointed this out to me.

Verge,

I think the easiest way to place the balloons is to use the on surface option, I always find it far more intuitive

Kev

PS Edit attachment on the balloon leader line

I agree. In fact, I have my default placement set to on surface. I think it also communicates the leader placement a bit more clearly in most cases.

The idea of placing the balloons in 3D really intrigues me, though, especially for those times when I have to hide something (or, more likely, multiple things) in order to place the leader where I want it.

What's the secret?

Verge,

Generally speaking, if I can't place a ballon on an item that is hidden (deep down inside an isometric view) and if putting a second iso view at a different orientation isn't going to help, then I do a detail view from one of the orthographic views

I know its a bit lazy, but I gotta be honest, getting the drawing done is usually the priority

Kev

These are not isometric views, just regular orthographic views. The filled dot goes where it wants to and the balloon goes where it wants to.

I would say it's more creative than lazy. As long as it meets your company's standards, the more efficient you can be, the better.

I find that non-Pro-E users, or those who only use it a little, don't tend to understand how long things can take if you want them done using specific techniques every time. A creative mind and a little bit of freedom go a long way.

AMEN. All my people know is that i wave a magic wand. Sometimes when someone wants something done differently, i cringe(and dog curse them inwardly) because i know what it involves.

verge said:
I find that non-Pro-E users, or those who only use it a little, don't tend to understand how long things can take if you want them done using specific techniques every time. A creative mind and a little bit of freedom go a long way.

I assume you mean a manager for the above person. I believe that one of the requirements for that position is the ability to underestimate the time required for any engineering endevour
smiley36.gif

What you'll find is that you will develop your own tips and tricks that become tailored to the company standards you are observing. For me (contract design engineer) this means that I get to play a bit every time I go somewhere new and always pick up something new and useful

Kev

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic, but I guess my veiled reference wasn't as veiled as I thought.
smiley36.gif

Although, honestly, a person doesn't have to be management to underestimate the amount of time things can take in Pro-E; especially if you really want everything to be truly robust and parametric. Anybody can underestimate one's true value, I've noticed!

I always put a balloon on the edge of the component. (but that's me, it's a matter of preference).I don't like surface attachement because there are some situations when the dot is going where it pleases.I always have a isometric view, and 3 views front, top, side. These are mainly for dimensioning height, witdh, length and balloon the components inside of an assembly.

As a "rule" I always try to put the balloons on the isometric view. But the "golden rule" sort of speak is to put the balloons in that view where is most visible and suggestive. I sometime blank a component in the isometric view to be able to put the balloon on the part below (when this happens I always put a note near that view saying blanked component X for clarity).

Like I said it's a matter of preference, everyone is doing this differently, but what matters in the end is to have a drawing where you can easily understand to what part a balloon is pointing to.

The real question here is how does one control where the balloon is placed. Or, rather, "why in the FREAK" does Pro-E place balloons in the dumbest spots possible (directly on top of other balloons, for example)? Is there a way to control the initial placement? I have to "edit attachment" foralmost every single balloon that I place.

Verge,

There is the clean up BoM balloons option (RMB after you have created the balloons).

When it comes to moving the arrow, if you are happy with where the arrow is attached to (ie edge or surface) you can always LMB click on the apex of the arrow and move it rather than edit attachments each time

Kev

Yes, I think the dumbest place I have experienced thus far is callout an item NOT EVEN VISIBLE from the side it was called out on; COMPLETELY HIDDEN.

Verge,

I have to admit, I don't use the first option at all, but others here enjoy causing themselves stress points during the day
smiley4.gif

Kev

I have gotten to the point that i would rather just use the note-like balloons; however you have to "maintain" them yourself.

I guess I'm asking for the moon. It's not that big of a deal to edit the attachment (and thanks Prohammy, I also use the click on the arrow technique at times), it would just be so much simpler to be able to place the arrow exactly where I want it the first time, and have the balloon wind up in a place that makes sense.

Ah well, can't have it all, I guess. At least we wound up with a good rant here (management, ProE, all the usual wrapped up in one post)
smiley2.gif
!

Also, great eye-catching title on this thread. I think it would make a good album title - "What in the FREAK..."

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back