Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Why Family Tbl Inst become seperate .prt

Tesla77

Why do my Family Table instances become their own part files.

I created a generic model created a family table like your supposed to, but when I go to open the generic part there is a list of all the instances saved as their own part file.

Is there something set wrong in my Pro_Config or am I missing something in the family table?2011-03-14_120535_Family_Table.zip

If you're working without a PDM system actual .prt files aren't created for each instance. If you don't want to see the instance file names set the option menu_show_instancesto NO.

Ihave always had .prt file created with each instance I created in the family table, with or without a PDM system.

I don't know if there is a setting that controls it but I have never had instance files create seperate part files. The instance names show in the file open dialog but when I look in the the directory where the generic is located it is the only file that shows. First pic is within ProE and the second is the folder within Windows.

View attachment 4973

View attachment 4974

garymig said:
By default every instance you create, makes its own .prt file.

Wrong. If you have Pro/E set to create accelerator files (.xpr) it will make one of those for every instance but not part files. All the family table part definition is in the generic part file. The accelerator files are just to make file retrieval faster.

If you look at the original poster's attachment it just shows the family table file where of course, you see every instance. That's what makes it a family table.

KDEM hit it on the head. This is what I was looking for. I wanted to be able to just see the generic .prt file so there isn't such a mess in my part library.

What is the purpose of having it show all the instances as .prt files anyway?

Isthat sort of defeating the whole Family Table's purpose?

Thank You,

Tesla77
Edited by: Tesla77

The intent is to let you retrieve an instance directly without going through the generic. You can change it by setting menu_show_instances no in your config.pro.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back