Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

When to use 64 bit comp. with Pro/E?

mdristy

When would it be advisable to use a 64 bit computer/OS to run Pro/E?

From what I can tell (from what I've read) it isn't significantly faster than 32 bit, and may even be slower in some cases. Is there any case where using 64 bit will be a big help?

Thanks.

dear

u can use the 64bit system when your pagefile memory get exceeded 3gb.

or you can hv a large assemblies or you havebig analysis

Rajnikumar

Rolta india ltd

We have 64 bit computer. The primary reason we are usingitdoesn't have everything to do with pro/e. It does increase the speed of your assemblies, primarily in Mechanism. If have large analysis in mechanism, I would highly recommend a 64 bit comp. One other reason we have it is because of a hot metal flow simulation. What industry are you in Mark, If you don't mind me asking?

rajnik8888, Isn't it 4gb?

Omar
Edited by: omarhernandez

We have assemblies thatare to 6,000 to 12,000 components large or more. Opening these size models is not really possible in master rep so a computer that has more memory is required if users want to work with master reps. Since there are limitations to 32 bit physical memory, that's where 64 bit comes in. With 64 bit you have more memory therefore you can open more, that's ultimately the benefit as well as the benefits mentioned by 'omarhernandez'. We have made it our standard (we phased it in) and have seen good results, but mainly in our added abilities, not so much in terms of speed as it is only a noticeable click faster for typically modelling/drafting operations (not incl analysis).

As far as your statement about it being slower, it certainly isn't slower but it isn't mind-blowing faster either, so if you (or comapny) can handle the budget for 64 bit (it can get pricey the more memory you add), then I would recommend it to get the added ability. Although if you don't work with large models or analysis or if your idea of large models is 1000 to 2000components then I would consider holding off (cost-wise) and make good use of simplified reps until the cost is more desireable.

Hope this helps.

omarhernandez said:
rajnik8888, Isn't it 4gb?

Omar

You can make a change in windows 32bit that lets one program use up to 3 gig if I recall. 64bit doesn't have that same restriction or the need to set a value in I beleive the registry to increase useful memory > 2gig

The maximum addressable memory space in 32-bit Windows is 3.25GB. Maximum memory per 32-bit process is default 2 GB for 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, but with some tweaking can be increased to 3 GB on 32-bit Windows and 4 GB on 64-bit Windows. 64-bit processes can go even higher on 64-bit Windows -- up to 8 TB on an x64 system (yes, terabytes). See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx for more info (although that site does not address the 3.25 GB limitation).

To answer your question 'omarhernandez'.....

My main workstation I use everyday has 8GB RAM Intel Xeon (dual) Windows XP Pro x64. We have a couple other stationsthat are pushing 16GB RAM but those can be quite costly, so those are reserved for the more demanding users/times when its really needed (like customer demos of products, etc which allows ability to open an entire product on screen).

We phased in the standard 64 bit w/8GB for all users through 3 year leasing program with computer manufacturer which allows us to switch out eavery 3. It seems to be working out well, as it limited the need for the amount of time spent not usingmaster reps, although we still see need to use simplified reps for efficiency, just not so much as before when we had 32 bit.

Just upgrading to a new desktop with Vista 64 bit... minimum 4GB Ram ( 8 hopefully budget will manage ). Rendering on 2nd party applications and other graphical programs shouldrun lovely. I had a conversation with Adobe yesterday, Illustrator, Photoshop and Reader allshould work with 64bit, however bit of a bummer to get up & running with vista 64 apparently ... so crossing my fingers.

I hope I will get 16 gb or RAM for christmas! I will be using metal flow simulation in the future hopefully with a testla processor! We don't switch out our computers though. We have our in house IT Tech guy to do all the dirty work.

Skint,

I would recommend you remove that virus on your pc! (vista). I use Windows XP Professional X64 Edition. Pro/e likes to crash constantly. I don't want any help from vista!
smiley36.gif
- Although, I really haven't had many crashes on a X64 bit system.
Edited by: omarhernandez

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back