Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What’s New Wildfire 4.0 on PTC web site

magnusod

Checked the new features in WF 4.0 on the PTC web site. Is this all??!! I could only find one new feature, theAuto Round Tool. The rest seems like small improvements and corrections.

I who thought that WF3 was a small disappointment in new functionality but compared to WF4 that release stands out as a real show off. Anyone who visited PTC World that can confirm this or hopefully tell that there's more to come.

[url]http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/relnotes/category.jsp?vers ion=4075&type=4892[/url]

Magnus

<h2>Automatic Creation of Diameter Dimensions in Sketcher</h2>
Yes! I've only been asking for that for since the dawn of automatic dimensioning. Maybe not a major feature but a pet peeve.

<h2>Correct Display of Tapered Threads in Drawings</h2>
Another enhancement request Ive had in for years.

Personally, I'd rather see them fix all the little bugs than try to do same major swooping redesign. Much more likely to get stable code in a reasonable time frame.

this is what I like the most

<ul ="cidList"><li ="cidItem">
Delete Missing References using the Reference Viewer
<div ="cidItemDesc">You can delete individual references from the
Reference Viewer when there is a failure or when you decide against
using the reference.</div><li ="cidItem">
Delete or Suppress Individual Group Members
secureicon.gif

<div ="cidItemDesc">You can delete or suppress an individual feature embedded within a group without ungrouping the group first.</div><li ="cidItem">
Merge Features Accept Multiple Quilts
<div ="cidItemDesc">You can use the Merge feature to merge more than two quilts - I am very curious about this one!</div>[/list]
<ul ="cidList"><li ="cidItem">
Sketcher Diagnostics
<div ="cidItemDesc">Sketcher diagnostic tools are added to help you understand issues in your sketch real-time.</div><li ="cidItem">
Handling Invalid and Missing References in Sketcher
<div ="cidItemDesc">You can replace invalid and missing references for sketches in Sketcher.</div>
[/list]

I agree with the dr. A stable release is a must, but swooping redesign which saves a lot of time is something that I have gotten used to with every release.

WF2
<UL>
<LI>Undo/Redo</LI>
<LI>Copy/Paste</LI>
<LI>Axis Pattern</LI>
<LI>Flange/Flat walls in shmtl</LI>
<LI>Mirror tool</LI>[/list]

WF3
<UL>
<LI>Assembly GUI, new users thought this was a big improvement.</LI>
<LI>Multiple flanges, nice corner handling.</LI>
<LI>Swept blend, so nice to exe a command without a blindfold.</LI>
<LI>Partial shell.</LI>
<LI>Rendering lights, can't believe how much easier it is to get the correct light on the model.</LI>
<LI>Shmtl extrude and cut</LI>[/list]

Just to name a few. Another disappointment is that the Wildfirezation of the GUI seems to have stopped in the Foundation package, at least for the moment. The mix of pre-WF and WF GUI is a big mess when new users are learning the program.

I wish they had redone the rest of the right toolbar commands in shmtl, a WF Helix and Blend. Maybe add a few icons ont the RMB commands so that it's easier to find the command that you're looking for. It doesn't seem like it's necessary to call in Tom Cruise for that....

AND if they finally could redesign the dreadful Resolve Feature life would be so much easier.....

Compared to the overhauling that UGS did with the NX5 I guess I was expecting more from PTC to keep up with the competition in the intense battle between the major CAD companies.

I can't for the life of me understand why the GUI conversion is still dragging on. PTC must have done a real botch job on the old user interface if it is so deeply entwined in the code that the menu manager is still present 4 major releases on.

It is a nightmare training new users with the dual interface. Just when they start to get comfortable with the WF interface and you get into the more complex concepts the old menu manager pops up and they go into shock.

muadib3d said:
<UL ="cidList">
<LI ="cidItem">Merge Features Accept Multiple Quilts
<DIV ="cidItemDesc">You can use the Merge feature to merge more than two quilts - I am very curious about this one!</DIV></LI>[/list]

I think that will only be availible for quilts that are just joining together and not intersecting. I cant see how it will do mulitple intersections at 1 time. Regardless it will be a nice improvement.

A few more nice features I wasn't aware of.

Sketcher Diagnostic which higlights open ends or overlapping geometry. There's also a sketcher wizard which let you know what's missing in order to finish the sketch.

Feature Recognition Tool, add features on imported geometry. Basicly the same as Feature Works in SolidWorks which is a nice tool.

Import Data Doctor. major overhaul of the old complicated dialogue.

Check out the new features in the ProE WF4 Workshop

[url]http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/fileothumbredire ct.jsp?im_dbkey=52822&icg_dbkey=841 [/url]

magnusod, thanks for posting this link. I'm assuming this was the workshop at the pro/user convention. Do you happen to know of a link to download the models used in the workshop?

They aren't available. I put a call in to PTC tech support & they said they will attempt to notify whomever is in charge of posting these things but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting.

Hello.

I think the most important enhancement WF 4.0 has is the introduction of the Visual Basic VBAPI.

With this new API now it is possible to automate from .NET which seems to be the actual paradigm for internet programming.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back