Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF3 Windows 7 - XP mode

Andy-osd

Does any body have experiance of running WF3 in windows 7 I've tried a standard install and it won't run, PTC tell me its not supported.

Has any body tried running through the XP mode?

Thanks

Zpaolo, I believe Andy-osd is asking about XP-mode on Windows 7. Proe runs fine on Windows 7. However, the short answer, in XP-mode...IT STINKS! Imagine the worst possible emulator and try to run Proe on it...UGH!

If it's a question of whether to upgrade to Windows 7 just to run Proe, I'd reconsider.

Thanks,

Yeah my problem is I have new workstationwith Windows 7 prof 64 bit and I thought in error wthat WF3 would run in 7 so I want to avoid stripping the OS and installing XP.

ProRookie, I know Andy asked about XP-Mode, but as XP mode is far than ideal to run CAD software, I was wandering if someone has WF3 working on Win7. Looks like it works on Win732, maybe Win764 is the problem

Unfortunately my existing install on another computer is 32bit so the exe file won't run :(

Any other ideas

I've tried downloading direct from PTC but the install will not complete although it does run.

Andy.

Most important: If PTC says it's not a supported configuration then you're asking for trouble insisting that you use that configuration. By "not supported" it means they do not run their QA scripts testing for reliability. As you're already experiencing, it's not working. Furthermore, if you did run into a problem, they wouldn't help you fix it (as you've also experienced.). So my advice from the outset is "Stop what you're doing. Get a supported configuration."

That said, I fired up a 64-bit Windows 7 machine and launched Wildfire 3.0 (albeit 64-bit) and it launched and ran without problems. I ran a build I had already installed on another machine (64-bit XP machine), so this makes me think the incompatibility you're facing is with the installer. If you insist on the course of action you've described, try installing on a 64-bit XP machine, and sharing out the install point.

Last but not least: "Unfortunately my existing install on another computer is 32bit so the
exe file won't run :(." I don't know which exe file you're talking about (xtop.exe, ptcsetup, etc), but 32-bit executables will run just fine on a 64-bit OS. But you don't get the benefit of the greater memory usage available to 64-bit programs, so it's usually pointless when high-memory applications are involved. If you'd like a demonstration of this, Windows 7 actually ships with 32-bit executables of Internet Explorer. Start the Task Manager and note the "*32" next to all of the iexplore.exe processes.

Thanks, my reseller has replied and say they have WF3 running on 7 and it installed normaly, I'll try again.

As for PTC not supporting it I could be tempted to say 'no change there then' as I normaly find they know less than me and thats not whole lot :) and since ProE is the least stable piece of software I've ever used I'm not sure I value there QA scripts :)

That all said I may yet just can 7 and install XP

ProE seems to be completely independent from windows, i have a copy installed on windows7 and i can run it in windows xp when i configure the licensing.i'm pretty sure it will run on any windows version.

Edited by: solidworm

It works!!

Ended up with M230 as M250 didn't seem to want to run, no idea why.

Just did the standard install I tried originaly with M250 but with M230 everything went smoothly

Thanks all

Excellent!
smiley32.gif

I have installed proE WF4 student on my PC first in Vista and now in
Windows 7 32bit and on both it doesn't start up - the computer whirrs a bit
then nothing.

I assume it is conflicting with something. Can anyone suggest what it may
be and how to solve it?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back