Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF3 to WF5

audctrl

I have heard that there is large difference between WF3 and WF5 when it comes to the detailing portion of Pro/E, is that true? I also heard that modeling side was relatively unchanged as far as functionality.

So the thought here is that a few people would get PTC training and then turn around and train the masses. Those of you who have already made that leap, do you feel that would be adequate or should I stand my ground and demand the PTC training?

Any comments would be appreciated.

If you're on WF3 now, I'd skip straight to Creo2. The
Creo2 interface is all new so you'd take all your lumps at
once. Plus, the WF5 drawing mode interface is a half baked
version of what's throughout Creo. It's painful in WF5,
better in Creo 2.

Don't bother with Creo 1,it's going off support in October.

To directly answer your question, I'm not sure that the
change in WF5 is big enough to require training. If you go
to Creo 2 you may want to , however.

Thanks DG, I was hoping that you and a few other veterans would respond. I want as much info as I can get before this project gets too far down the road.

Keep it coming.

It sounds like a lot of bugs are going to be fixed in M030 which is due in Nov. M040 is due in Feb.

I'd get your advance team trained now and get let them get good and comfortable with it. An extrude is still an extrude and a round is still a round and a sigh is just a sigh. But the ribbon interface and the new workflow (for example, right click menus instead of flyouts, object selection then action, etc) will take some time to get aquainted with. If they're good, 3 - 6 months tops before they fully digest the new sauce and kyujutsu

Then roll out the enterprise-wide switch early next year after the biggest fixes are in.

Good stuff guys. I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Thanks again. My plan is to basically use this thread to build a business case on what ought to be done instead of full spead ahead yes sir Capt'n Smith.

We are on WF4 and plan on jumping to Creo2 after they get the config file mess fixed which sounds like it will be M030 at this point.

WF5 drawing is like Office 2007 with non-configurable ribbon interface that is a POS. Newer versions at least let you reconfigure the ribbon although I have no idea why anybody thought this was any kind of improvement, especially with wide screen monitors. Using up limited vertical real estate is moronic.

We are planning on moving from WF4 to Creo2 early next year. I am not looking forward to it. I first thought I would just use the pull down menus at the top, until I saw they did away with those too.
smiley5.gif

My company did the WF3 to WF5 jump last year. We used some web based tutorials specifically for the upgrade. They were horribly painful to watch and in the end I didn't feel that I learnt enough to make the change any easier. Those at my work who didn't do the training seemed to make the transition just as well. I wouldn't bother with any 'professional' training.

Yes, the ribbon interface is tough to get used to. It has some pluses, but for me, more negatives (which has been covered at length in many other threads). Since the stupid ribbon takes up more vertical space, Isuccessfullyconvinced my boss that I needed a larger monitor :) Good luck.

We went to Creo2 from WF4 about a month ago, after M20
came out.
We have had the usual crying and whining from a few
individuals that occurs every time we make a change.
For the most part, everything seems stable. There are a
few things I am not wild about and more that I like. The
ribbon thing takes some getting used to and finding where
everything is can take some time. There is a cool "find"
tab where you type in the function you are looking for
and it shows exactly which ribbon it is located under.
Like anything else in life, you can get used to the pain
and even come to enjoy it if you embrace it with an open
mind.

So what I am hearing is that M040 users can customize the ribbon? Hopefully the ribbons can go on the side since my monitors are widescreens. Sounds like a lot of vertical space is used leaving you with a 15" size model space.
smiley36.gif

dr_gallup said:
We are on WF4 and plan on jumping to Creo2 after they get the config file mess fixed which sounds like it will be M030 at this point.

WF5 drawing is like Office 2007 with non-configurable ribbon interface that is a POS. Newer versions at least let you reconfigure the ribbon although I have no idea why anybody thought this was any kind of improvement, especially with wide screen monitors. Using up limited vertical real estate is moronic.

I'm in agreement with you about the vertical space and in the same boat, WF4, thinking of going to Creo2.

I'm wondering if rotating the monitors 90 degrees would be agreeable with the width of the ribbons?

We are also running WF3 and my consideration was the same when I tested WF5, ie. height of wide screen monitors vs. ribbon on top. Still, we haven't switched to WF5 or Creo, as we do not plan to purchase new monitors and I plan to wait for the ribbon interface repositioning possibility to be available.

One thing that helps a little is to get a 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor but you will pay a bit more. Most of the monitors sold today are the same resolution as a high def TV (1920 x 1080) which is cheaper because its smaller but more because they can use high volume TV screens. The extra 120 pixels vertical really helps in many computer applications, particularly those with wasteful ribbon interfaces.

mgnt8 suggested 3-6 months for transition - would have
said more like 1 month at best

before you swap, sack all the oldtimers - theyll winge and
moan and make life hell for everyone
smiley36.gif

ribbons are here to stay folks - be interesting to see what
Metro(win8) brings ... now that will bring an end to all
the old timers
smiley4.gif

Edited by: moriarty

You got something against old timers?

I am one, will design circles around you using any CAD program you wish...
smiley17.gif

I just got Creo 2 installed.

In order to rotate the monitors 90 degrees and still see all the commands on the ribbons, it will be necessary to spread it across both monitors otherwise some commands get hidden. I don't like spreading across both monitors the break in the middle is irritating.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back