Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

[WF2] Model moves around drawing

bearcatflex

I will start a new drawing, add my model (Insert > Drawing View > General), pick the center point and tweak my drawing view options (scale, origin, etc..). Add a few symbols that detail such things as holes, etc...

But, after modifying my model (relocate a part to a different area on the assembly), I noticethe viewsometimes moves around the drawing. The odd thing is that under "Drawing View" options, the values of the origin remain the same. I notice this shift because the model will move closer tothe details I added.

The model itself never gets bigger or smaller because I have a base plate which is always the same size and parts/holes/etc.. move around the plate.

It does not matter if I check or uncheck "Lock View Movement".

The frustration comes even when I relate my symbols to the view in the hopes that they might move as one entity and they don't. I mean they will when I unlock my view movement and freely move my view, everything moves. But when I modify the model and look at my drawing, the model will shift around without anything else moving with it.

Thanks for any support that can be provided - Jim

If there is geometry from the assembly copied in the model, then the part will move on the drawing as you adjust the position, the copied geometry moves in the part. What you should do is set the origin of your views to something in the part that does not move like the default csys (you should always build models with the default datums and csys at the beginning, check your start parts). Then if you add geometry in the part and change the center of the parts geometry, the csys is still in the same place.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back