Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

We don't need no stinking training!

nbaptist

We don't need no stinking training! Well that's what they are saying but some stuff is no easy to find!

How does on set part accuracy? Use to be simple to find under setup but setup is gone!

Thanks all you trained users!

Neil

Only an idiot would tell you that you don't need training. To even get a basic understanding of Creo, I feel training is mandatory and as much as you can get. Once you get it, it is the tip of the iceberg in being able to utilize the tool efficiently.

You can tell them I said so, too!

I took a semester of NX 3.0 in college and have been almost entirely self trained in Pro/E. if you do self training be prepared to spend a lot of time alternating between frustrated, angry, happy and sad. You'll find a way to do something then discover a better way to do it and go back and redo everything you've ever done. Then you find something else and be converting parts that you made years ago, kicking yourself in the butt for not knowing this stuff earlier.

My best advice, buy a book or two. YouTube is your friend. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. The easiest tricks I've found we're on accident.

The money spent for training in minimal when compared to the time spent trying to learn it yourself and not developing designs. Not to mention the inefficiencies, the bad modeling technique that will most definitely come back to haunt you, as well as the fact that many tools are not easily identified for a user with no training.

It will cost them much more in the long run.

funny. One of our sales persons Steve has a great analogy when he finds a manager that does not have time or money for training. "if you business was selling concrete and one of your trucks is broken down, do you tell your costumer 'sorry'? We don't have a budget to repair the truck. you can't have the concrete you purchased."

I do a Creo 2.0 update training and show in that two day class a bunch of WF2.0 update stuff and designers eat that stuff up! There is so much going on inside of Creo 2.0 that we can all figure out on our own. The cost is way more than a week of digging. It's also easy to after training go back and see how you could have saved 20 sometimes 50 hours or more on a project. Seldom does the manager understand or realized the time savings after the fact. Nor do people make a proper case for the training before hand. Progressive companies will make it a requirement for staffers to receive 40 hrs of training per year. If you don't get Creo training of some sort they make you take safety training.

Last edited:
If you don't get Creo training of some sort they make you take safety training.

We have monthly plant meetings. Each month there is a safety training segment. It varies month to month but they repeat year after year. Everyone can correctly answer the little quiz before the training starts. The value is HR has a record for OSHA that we were trained in case of a lawsuit. Maybe we should sue HR for bad models?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back