Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wave Washer & Tangent Datums not Flexible

morsetaper2

Hello,

I made a wave washer per the PTC suggested technique, and it works fine.

I added a parameter to define the free (uncompressed) height. That parameter is used in the relation that drives the sweep that creates the wave geometry.

To assemble the wave washer, I added two datums. One tangent to the top side, the the other tangent to the bottom side of the wave washer. these datums are used to assemble the wave washer.

I can change the OD, ID, free height, number of waves, the part geometry and the two datums all regenerate properly in the part. I added a predefined flexibility to the part to change the free height when assembled and the wave washer is compressed. This all works fine in the part model.

But when I assemble the wave washer, and make it flexible in an assembly the part won't update. the datums that ARE DEFINED from the free height parameter regenerate, but the wave washer model won't - it doesn't respong to being made flexible. It seems that the part geometry isn't flexible?

So the datums, driven by the same parameter that defines the part geometry update when made flexible, but the part geometry won't when installed in an assembly.

An help appreciated.

Thanks, mark
WF3.0

Edited by: morsetaper2

If the part will regenerate then the flexible component should update in the assembly.Do you think its the part (upload it so we can see it) or the assembly? if you think the assembly flexible component is the problem then try to build something else simple... and get that to work as a flexible component..... then work backwards to try to eliminate what is not the problem or narrow down the problem like working on a car.
Edited by: design-engine

I usually do it the other way around. Create the two offset datums, use the distance between them to control the geometry. Assemble using the datums. Add the flexibility in the assembly. Always works for me. The beauty is that you can completely delete all the geometry, replace the wave washer with any other shape you like, & it still assembles and works properly.

Ok, how do you upload files? Is there a sticky or FAQ for this?

I was able to get the flexible wave easher to work, I used dr_gallups approach. I made two datums, top and bottom, equidistat above and below the sweep sketch that define the free height of the wave washer. The free height is what I want to make flexible. The distance between these two datums are driven by a real number parameter, "FH".

These datums are before the sinusoidal "trajpar" sketch in model tree. In the sketch I put a ref dimension between these two planes and use that as "h" in the sketch.

Everything works fine.

Edited by: morsetaper2

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back