Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Warp a Flat Disk Concave

mach-4

I have a part that is a disk with some bosses and counter sinks. I need to make it somewhat concave. Let's say about .020". It is to compensate for distortion when processing. I got it to warp great one time, but I can't re-produce my results. It just needs to pull down in the center that .020" without the rest of it getting wavy. Any suggestions?

I have a part that is a disk with some bosses and counter sinks. I need to make it somewhat concave. Let's say about .020". It is to compensate for distortion when processing. I got it to warp great one time, but I can't re-produce my results. It just needs to pull down in the center that .020" without the rest of it getting wavy. Any suggestions?

How about create a surface with the concave shape that you want, then trying Offset > Replace Surface Feature.
That way you can also create different instances for manufacturing and inspection.

I'm not that familiar with this offset option. It works, but I seem to be able to only offset one boss, slot, etc. at a time. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly. I don't see any good videos that show this offset option.

The bosses will not move with the surface replace, only the disk. If you want them to come along, then it's probably not the best option.

Maybe you can try just modeling the disk with a radius and toggle the height of the dome with relations. If you bump your accuracy down really low and make the height less than .001" then it will look flat enough.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back