Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

VSS - Normal to Surface

jsantangelo

I was looking at the Killer Bee UAV and was wondering what the best way to create the transition of the wing.

I created some sketches and then an intersection curve to connect the horizontal and vertical wing. Using the Intersection curve I created a Swept blend to act as a ref surface for a VSS. I'm trying to make the VSS so that as it sweeps it keeps normal to the surface. But trying different things it does not follow the twist of the Swept Blend ref surface.

Any pointers? Wf4/M040.

2008-10-02_192700_wing_blend.prt.zip

Ok after playing around more I created another Swept Blend that has sketches that are perpendicular to the first ref Swept Blend. I then did an intersection of the two surfaces and used that as the origin trajectory. Using the first ref swept blend it now twists as it sweeps.

Edited by: jsantangelo

I think the model - Your attention - is too narrowed. I mean, I would create top and bottom side as single surfaces, then trimed it to desired and interested for You shape

so instead of creating complicated curves go and prepare one big surface of i.e top side of a plane and trim it to desired shape

that drone looks mean as hell.Toy? Looks like they used solidworks... haha wimps

Usually transitions are handled with free form curves and surfaces. However in that spot I would suggest a more math approach or use of the VSS tool.
Edited by: design-engine

mcgowanp said:
Try changing one of the options from variable to constant sweep.

I used a trajpar to change one of the dimensions as it sweeps. Currently getting more familiar with trajpar in this exercise too.

I'll give it a try to see what happens.

muadib3d said:
I think the model - Your attention - is too narrowed. I mean, I would
create top and bottom side as single surfaces, then trimed it to
desired and interested for You shape

so instead of creating complicated curves go and prepare one big surface of i.e top side of a plane and trim it to desired shape

So then use the one big surface as a reference or as the actual surface? Can you explain a bit more? So how would you blend the horizontal to the vertical?

design-engine said:
that drone looks mean as hell.Toy? Looks like they used solidworks... haha wimps

The link in the first post has more pictures and it definitely looks like solidworks. I started this exercise in SW a while back but want to see if I can create it with Pro/e sans the ISDX module.

see below - sorry for the quality
smiley9.gif

1) Create curves network for main upper surface

2) Create a curve by sketch > Project it on the surface and trim it

same for bottom one, I suppose this is better appraoch rather than narrow Your focus to the wing section which - for me - looks as a part of bigger surface(pic 1)

muadib3d said:
see below - sorry for the quality
smiley9.gif

1) Create curves network for main upper surface

2) Create a curve by sketch > Project it on the surface and trim it

same for bottom one, I suppose this is better appraoch rather than narrow Your focus to the wing section which - for me - looks as a part of bigger surface(pic 1)

I see said the blind man. Takk for the explanation. When time permits I will try this.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back