Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

VSS along a curved surface

mgeorgiadis

Hi I'm trying to create a VSS of a closed profile along a curved (cylinder) surface. Using Creo 2.

What I'm trying to model is a nozzle which is attached to a cylindrical vessel.

I create a parallel plane using the main planes going through the center of the main cylinder and on the new plane I draw a circle and project it onto the cylinder.

Next I select this projected curve as my trajectory and draw in the cross section of the nozzle.

When it is complete the result is not parallel nozzle walls as in the picture.

There are other (obvious) ways to model a nozzle but I really want to get this right so I can start to model the welds that join the nozzle to the cylinder because I can't get the results I want with Pro Weld tools.

Thanks to all in advance.

MikeG

I tried to upload the file but it says "Invalid file" so I couldn't

vss nozzle.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it's going to work in this way, you should try with a different workflow, using a guide curve together with the projected one, but better to change workflow completely. for example:

Build a plane where the exit of the nozzle is, sketch a circle, extrude it towards the cylinder. Draft the extrusion if needed, trim it with the cylinder surface and thicken. In this way the nozzle is a truncated cone.

Second way, sketch the larger circle and project it as you did, sektch a smaller circle when the exit of the nozzle is, use a boundary blend between the two.

Paolo

Two pictures to show the different approaches. Consider that if you project the external circle on the cylinder, then your nozzle will not have a constant draft angle, while with the truncated cone it has it. Also if you work with solids and shell them afterward, you can use the extrude to surface feature.

Paolo

Attachments

• 2013-03-27_092944.jpg
    2013-03-27_092944.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2013-03-27_093118.jpg
    2013-03-27_093118.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 25

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back