Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

vs. Pro/E

BigJoe:

The first bug I've seen is this: Checkin your files at the end of a long day of modeling, and every once in a while, when checking out the files the next morning, your previous day's work has mysteriously vanished! This does wonders for productivity. It's also taught us to never permanently delete your local files until you're sure that your previous days work has been safely vaulted. This usually means "parking" your local files somewhere until you've checked them out the next day. IMHO, vaulting programs are supposed to eliminate this type of headache!!

The second bug (might be related to the first) is if you choose the automatic "delete local files" while checking in, it seems more often than not your work gets lost. So never set the delete local files option.

Having worked a short time with SW and a fairly long time with Pro, I couldn't agree more with Dell_Boy. Likewise, I've used it since 12/05, so I have yet tosee its full potential, but it is clear to me thatSW is a lower-end CAD package. If you have the choice, stick with Pro.

Peter

Thanks again Peter. Wow. I'm surprised that you have lost data W/ PDMWorks. You are correct, PDM systems are supposed to eliminate those kinds of problems.

I really appreciate all of the feedback and I'm taking all of your comments into consideration.

Honestly, I was expecting more of an uprising from the SolidWorks evangelists. Where are you, SolidWorks evangelists?

Hello,

We almost exclusively use SolidWorks2006. We stay on the latest service packs. I used Pro-E for a couple years with 2000i - 2001 build 490 or something like that. Yes, solidworks was easier to learn but doesn't seem to be as powerful. Expecially with large assemblies. SW claims to have addressed this problem but it is a consistent thorn in our side.

I would be curious as to how Pro is doing with Wildfire. SW likes to add bells and whistles with every release, mess up good tools, add a few good ones, and leave a lot of bugs.

Just me 2 cents.

At first I disliked Wildfire. But I got used to it, and even came around to thinking it was better! There were some steps backward, but overall I'd say it was a major imrovement.

The only major complaint I have about WF 2.0 is that it'sMS Windows certified, so you had to be very careful where files were being saved, especially if you created a copy within an assembly. But the main things they concentrated on was reducing the number of mouseclicks needed to perform an action, and the GUI- it's much easier on the eyes, and it is very flexible. For the most part they did a good job from 2001 to WF.

Peter, good insights into the Wildfire quirks. As far as the GUI goes, I have been using it less for the common tasks. I created mapkeys for things I do all the time. It makes Pro/E easier to use and I feel more productive. Hitting "rs" and getting right into the sketch is easier than clicking through all of the menus and dashboard buttons. That's a topic for a different thread in a different forum.

So, from the feedback I've gathered so far it sounds like SolidWorks' big advantage is "ease of use for the casual user" with possible data loss in PDMWorks.

Have any of you been able to quantify (or estimate) productivity gains? For those of you that have used both SW and Pro/E, do you feel more productive in SW?

I don't think you can do an accurate comparison between SW and Pro/E unless it's with Wildfire.

We learneda valuable lesson with SW2006. We won't update to a major release again at least until the first service pack is out.

I feel less productive with SolidWorks.

The mapkeys are one thing, but it's real pain to get the detail and assembly drawings to look like I want them in SolidWorks. Pro/E has made sooo much improvement in that area since the mid-90's!

Interesting wdg57. One of the common complaints among my users the 2D drafting in WF. Sounds like it's time for training...

There are significant changes to 2D drafting for WF- I think this is where Imost resisted the changes- but eventually I learned that the changes were for the better.

I agree with wdg57- I feel far less productive with SolidWorks- but keep in mind I've only used it for 2 months, and I still haven't been trained -that's next month. I'll postmy thoughts on SW Basic training on this thread if BigJoe wishes it.

Based onthe SW onlinedrawing tutorials, I can see that drawings are going to be more of a pain than ProE.

Also, I should mention there's an ongoing problem with thread display- if you want to display cosmetic threads "ProE style," they don't seem to follow the rules of HLR- sometimes you see all of the threads in every part of your assembly THROUGH the components. Because of this, it is very hard to put together nice clean picturesfor presentations. I've heard this has been an ongoing issue. It also seems to randomly occur.

That said, the rendering program is pretty nice. I've never used ProE's rendering function, so I can't compare the two, but the SW rendering was easy to use, and produces some pretty amazing results. I haven't been able to produce anything like what I've seen on the ProE forum (for instance this: http://piotrowskipics.com/MUSTANG_RED_FAR_4.jpg), but I have yet to see the full power of SW rendering.

Iknow I've painted a pretty negative picture of SW in this thread. SW is a good CAD package, with bugs and problems like any other program. But ProE issimplymuchbetter; it'sa high-end product with more capability.

Peter

Edited by: SSLaser

SSLaser said:
SW is a good CAD package, with bugs and problems like any other program. But ProE issimplymuchbetter; it'sa high-end product with more capability.

That's about it in a nutshell.

This has been interesting to watch all of the reactions to the billion dollar question, which came first, the chicken or the egg.
I use 4 CAD systems currently, on a regular basis as a consultant. The question needs to turn from which is better, to which fits my environment and business the best (Best Fit). No CAD system is complete or even completely loved, each has its good and bad points based on current needs, which change at a moments notice. Which system is most flexible for my business.
I agree that many times anyone will do the main jobs, main functions, but which is easier to use and most flexible for my current part is the main Q&A.
BigJoe, no one can answer this question properly without knowing your business. I agree that PTC is finally coming along, but for how long and who are they following, same answer for SW. Today I think of those two PTC may have an OVERALL edge, but does that meen it is best for my business? Have you looked at ImpactXoft, another strong flexible player,what about Think3? All viable alternatives that need looked at based on product and business needs.
BTW, PDMWorks and Intralink are basically the same, both have PIA points. The main reason is they are MEANT to be lite weight so that you buy the higher and offered systems. Good or not depends on how thoughtful you are with your business needs and setup the system right for your fit the first time.
IMHO anyway
BH

Edited by: bhoerner

In response to the question of regarding PDMWorks vs. Pro/Intralink, have you considered CSI's DesignDataManager (www.designdatamanager.com/)?

I currently use it to control my Pro-E WF CAD files, and as I am
planning to use DDM to control SolidWorks CAD files as well (after
adding SolidWorks as a secondary CAD system). I have a request from a
client to use SolidWorks for a project, so it is not a Pro-E vs.
SolidWorks issue for me.

The big advantage of DDM is one license of DDM will support multiple
CAD platforms, which is great for dual users of both Pro/Engineer
Wildfire & SolidWorks.

I am defiantly less productive w/ respect to work flow in solid works than WF.

I might investigate mapkeys but I want to control my right click options. Would be nice for example if I could customize a button to exit a sketch instead of moving my mouse to the upper right screen.

I did not mention intent manager.

Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back