Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

volume regions

TDPROE

Hey everyone, this is the deal, i need to place a force on a cylindrical pin, at first it would seen easy but the force is not applied on the outer planar faces but on an internal plane 1.875 mm from the edge, im trying to create a volume region but i cant select the face i want, how can you select the other "faces" of the volume region?

thanks

As per the classical mechanics, the force acting on any point along the line of action should have the same results. So, it should not matter whether the force is applied on the outer planar surface or on an offset plane unless you are doing buckling ananlysis.

Also, I was just wondering about the nature of problem you are trying to solve. If a force is acting on an internal surface of surface body then it could of the following two types: external applied force or a reaction force. In both the conditions you need to have a physical surface present in the model for any of these forces to act.

Can you please post the free body diagram of the problem? That way we can understand your problem in a better manner.

hey anand, what im trying to do is simulate a tension rod joined with a bracket and a pin, the rod has a pre-stress which i was trying to model using a dummy thermal load (ill have to change this since the force is not being transmited to the pins/brackets).

heres an image:
problem.jpg

anyway what i was doing is replacing the rods for their reaction on the pins this would occur in a place inside the pins not on the planar surface.

So i managed to solve the problem and it seems that the behavior of the model is very accurate compared to what you'd expect. I anyone has the same problem of modelling tension rods with pinned connections send me a email and ill tell you what i did.

cheers
[email protected]

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back