Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Visible sketch from die

MichailS

Hi

I am using the sheetmetal function Create Form to make a number of countersunk holes.

My problem is that the sketch from the die part is visible in the sheet metal part which is ugly.

I can hide them momentarily by choosing a Hide on the "Form id #####" featuers, and it looks well on screen but when I print out the drawing that pesky sketch is still visible.

I have tried poking around with the layers, but once I move the sketch features from a visible layer to an invisible, but that works just like using Hide, and for some reason those layer entries are actually missing after a save/reload.

The Help function is no help, mostly because at this company they decided to place those files on a server that is apparently dead. Don't ask me what the reasoning behind was.

In the die part, the sketch is in the Hidden Items layer and is not visible.

Is there some way for me to make those sketches remain invisible in the sheet metal part? Can I assign them to the Hidden Items layer somehow?

Thank you for any aid.

Wildfire 3.0

That was not quiet right. To clarify:

If I do a Hide on the feature in the feature tree the countersink is visible on screen but not on paper.

If I move the feature entry in the layer tree to the Hidden Items layer the countersink is visible on screen, the sketch is invisible on screen, but visible on paper.

And there is no difference between die and punch with this issue.
Edited by: MichailS

smiley11.gif

its first time i am hearing this kind of problem. i myself never came across this.

ok tell me what is the sketch all about? is it important in form(die) part?

i am still confussed
smiley5.gif
how a sketch from die can appear in sheet metal part..........
Edited by: sanjeevkar1

The sketch is the very one I revolve to create the solid that is the die. It is just a plain little cylinder with a pit on one end. It is not visible in the die model, but every time I open the sheet metal part where I used the die to make countersinks, I see the sketch on every countersink - a small thin blue outline. In the part and in the drawing.

I can't hide it in the drawing views with the Erase Cosmetic Feature either.

My guess is that someone did something "clever" with the default layers on this company.

Odd thing: at first the sketches were visible in the layer tree of the sheet metal part in a layer named 09_NO_GEOM_FEATURES.

When I cut/pasted them into the Hidden Items layer instead, all looked well until I tried printing (still visible). Then I saved the model and reopened it. Now the sketches are missing! They are neither in the Hidden Items layer nor anywhere else, and I am at a loss for how to put them back again - or whether that needs to be done at all.

Seems that if I make a Create Form/Copy instead of a Reference, then the sketch will appear in the sheet metal feature tree instead. Then I can manually make a layer and move the sketches over to that one and hide them for the session. That makes the countersink appear on the drawings without the sketches.

But it is kind of cumbersome.

Bah, that method just deformed the sheet edges that the countersunk interfered. >_<

I'm tired of this. I will do what I should have done from the beginning and protrude/cut the countersinks instead!

I guess I should have learned by now that every time I do the mistake to use some "convenient" special feature in ProE it ends up biting me in the bum. I shall write "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" on a Post-It right now and put it on the monitor bezel.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back