Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Vericut in proman

cncwhiz

I'm looking for information on vericut in pro man. At this time we are running vericut that came with pro. I am looking for it to do a few more things that it does not do now. I would like to run tool holderssoI can check for crashes from the holder. I would also like to run the system with gcode as well as cl. I don't think that I need the whole package but somthing more thanI now have.

CNCWhiz,

I understand what you are trying to do; it is something we do every day with ProNC and Vericut. The core of it is the Machine Simulation module.

You can no longer purchase "full" Vericut from PTC, so you will have to get in touch with your local CGTech rep. Ours is in Nashua NH - Paul Breniser. Expect to pay about $15K-$20K per seat, depending upon options. OptiPath is also a good value.

You will be able to pass the entire Tool Manager to Vericut and run a full simulation. However, you need to be prepared to do a lot of upfront work to your tool assemblies. They should be fairly clean models, with no drive tang slots or through holes in them. The conversion is actually a revolved open section around the tool's axis,so think of how difficult it is going to be for Pro to convert your models in such a manner. For example,if your holder or collet nut has a through hole (what collet nut doesn't?), Pro will not be able to create an open section of it around the axis, so that partwill fail to convert. Make your models simple but accurate. For example, while it looks nice your collet nut doesn't REALLY need the wrench flats on it to check for collision.

Also, you are going to need to set the GAUGE_Z_LENGTH parameter for each assembly which is the distance from the TIP csys to the gage line on the shank. This is where Vericut will assemble the tool to the spindle. I did it by sketching a curve between the two and writing a quick relation (GAUGE_Z_LENGTH=dx). This ensures that the parameter is accurate.

Second, you are going to need the machine in Vericut. CGTech will do this for you for a fee. This is also a good deal, as modelling in Vericut is totally different than modelling in Pro.

Regards
Peter Brown
NC Programming Manager, Jarvis Products Corp

Peter,

I did some testing and it looks like the embeded pro man vericut can do the too holder check that I needed to see. I made a model of a tool holder then did an assembly of the tool with the holder. I brought in the tool as a custom too by "copy". When I ran vericut the holder is there and it hit the aposing part next to it. I am getting the specs of the tool holders from the machines by part and job. I will build a data base for all holders. I think that the bean counters will want to go this way rather than buy the vericut "basic" package for 7,000.00.

CNC,

Yes, the tools setup will import into Vericut. However, running CL data is not the same as running G-code. For example, most machines do a "dog leg" rapid move, yet embedded Vericutwill only simulate point-to-point.

I guess it all depends upon how intricate your fixtures are and whether the machine is a 3 or 4 axis. You get some really strange behavior when the tool moves 180deg!

Regards

Peter,

I run 3 1/2 axis horizontals. I have had my post built that when I output "z first and z last" in the parameter setup I will backup first in the "z" axis. I would love to have all the bells and whistles of vericut but it is a cost issue. Vericut with cl still does do some strange things. When I rotate from 90 degrees and start to cut at 0 when the fixture rotates it will hit the fixture even though in the gcode it will not hit.I wish there was a config file to change some colors etc that would stay after you close vericut.

CNC,

Set up Vericut the way you want it, then do File>Save User. Rename the saved .usr file to proe.usr and place it in your Proe loadpoint\i486_nt\vericut folder. Back up the existing proe.usr in that location first.

Regards

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back