Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

variable sweep path with graph, a littel lost

wogz

Hi All,

OK, while still 'relatively' new to Pro E, I do have a bit of a brain buster..

What I need to do, is cut a path around a circular shaft, a cylinder. But, it's not just a simple path, but one that has a few peaks & valleys. (we need a shaft, that, when rotated, the follower will move up & down accordingly. Every 1/4 turn it should rise X distance and return, and every 1/2 turn it should rise 1/2X and return.

I've spent most of the morning learning variable sweep, graph & trajpar. And I did get something close to what I want. The crux now is that the cut feature (a rectangle) remains parallel to the sketch plane. Question: Is there a way to have your sweep feature be perpendicular (normal) the trajectory or the segments of the trajectory? That would help immensely!

I'm about to make 6 separate graphs, one for each sweep / cut segment I need, each on their own sketch plane, and each plane at about 30° apart. Then, those 6 sweeps patterned twice. For 6 sweeps, each cut feature will have the same depth, but the height will vary depend on the rise or fall angle of the sweep. (The steeper the rise, the greater the 'y' dimension of the sweep feature needs to be, since it is parallel to the axis of the shaft, not perpendicular to the trajectory path..)

It just seems like a lot of work..

thanks!

paul

Last edited:
Hmm, can I make the path with the graph, but have a solid feature (thinking a cylinder) follow this path to remove material? As a milling cutter would in the real world?

(or am I hoping for too much!)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back