Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Using Publish and Copy geom

raghu.patthar

Hi Folks,

I have an interesting issue on my hand.

1. I have a Pro-E assembly which has 2 parts in it (part1
and part2).
2. Part 2 has a copy geometry, which is published from
features of part 1.
3. Now, i have another part from outside part 3, using
which i want to replace part 1 (basically it should
update whatever changes in Part 3 to Part 1
automatically)

Is it possible in Pro-E if yes, please provide me with
details on how to achieve this?

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks in advance

Raghu

design-engine said:
careful, your getting into what I call circular references.

Can't he just edit the definition of the Publish Geom feature of to point to the new Part 3 instead of Part 1? I don't have AAX so I can't tinker and play around with that.
smiley19.gif

Yes. I may not have read the post correctly. In the ECG you can just point to a different model. If both models are solids, upon selecting the model grab the surface, right hold down and use the selection 'Solid Geometry' so you seed the entire solid surfaces.

I must warn here. Redefining an external copygeometry to reference a different part in WF4 (I think it was M080) leads to ghost objects! When changing the referenced part from part A to part B, ProE will keep an internal reference to part A, which can NOT be deleted. So when you delete part A, ProE will see that part as ghost object, even when it is no longer referenced. I tried everything to correct it, even opened a support call. They could not solve the problem. In the end I hex edited the part to manually change the occurrences of part A to part B. Not a great workaround, but it worked.

I would create a new external copygeometry and go through the trouble of redefining the dependent features, just to be sure it works. Or use a ProE version which does not have this bug ...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back