Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Unwrap a surface?

CaptnPea

A general how would you do this question?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I have a part that is going to be pressured formed, sheet of plastic that is softened by heat and forced into a female mold by application of pneumatic pressure to the backside forcing it into the mold), then it will be machinetrimmed. The general shape of the part is a rectangle with both ends fully rounded. Since the part must be pulled out of the mold there is a 2

In the edit menu, there is a selection to flatten a surface. Not sure how well it works on something with multiple contours but I've ued it a few times to flatten a label that is applied to a curved surface in order to obtain the true size of the label.

This may help...........

Michael

Thanks for the summary! Very informative!
smiley4.gif

The only thing I would add would be for true "Master model techniques" which is essentially what you did, would be to make a copy of the lable surface in the primary part - call this lable_copy or whatever, then add this to a uniquelayer (call it surface_copy or whatever). now blank off EVERYTHING else in a seperate layer.

Now,in assembley mode, activate part 2, and copy in the surface copy "Label_copy"from part 1 and flatten this quilt! (the layer status in part 1 helping you to select the corret quilt)

you can now go back to part 1 and blank off the "surface_copy" layer and show everythingelse, this ensures that the quilt you copied in has no children, and as such, maintains model integrety and ensures design intent is followed. any modifications made to the surface in part 1BEFORE the copy was made wil propagate through,where any changes made afterwill not.

I always used sheetmetal to flatten a quilt - insert/advanced/flatten quilt, gotta love it! :)

thanks again for the info!

James

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back