Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Universal config.pro for multiple users

Goin' Mental

Hi folks - newbie here just after some help with config.pro variable file paths if poss.
What I'd like to do is have a standard config.pro that I can give to more than one user that uses some kind of variable in some of the file paths for example for each person's (potentially unique) config.win that will live in their own account area on C:\..........
I thought I'd be able to make use of the %user% thing in the file paths in config.pro but no joy.
Any help gratefully rec'd
Cheers.

What version of Proe / Creo? It's important because Creo
1.0 handles some of this differently than WF5 / Creo
Elements 5.0 and older. For example, Creo 1.0 no longer
has a config.win file, instead it uses a customizations
file and it's loaded differently than the config.win.

That said, here's how it works with WF5 and older.
Config.pro and config.win files are loaded from several
places, in this order:

1. The 'text' folder in the Pro/E installation.
  2. The user's 'Home' directory, as defined by Windows
    environment variable.
  3. The start up directory, usually defined by the 'start
    in' field for the icon used to launch Proe.

Additionally, both config.pro and config.win files will
load cumulatively. That means later files override
earlier in the area where they overlap. So, if you set
an option in the config.pro file in the text folder and
then again in a config.pro file in the user's home
directory, the value used in the later vile 'wins'.

With config.win files, however, that can produce
unexpected results. I've found that separating the areas
that each file modifies (one for toolbars, the other for
menus for example) works well.

Now, what we do is store company config.pro & config.win
on the server adn then use a batch file to copy them into
the text folder at Pro/E launch. We then store the
user's config.pro and config.win on a server and point
the start in to p:/config/%user%/ and that works well.

Thanks for the replys folks and yes, I probably shoud have given a bit more usefull info really;
We're working on WF4 at the moment and the example I gave (config.win) was a bit of a red-herring I suppose because, as you say, dgs, it doesen't rely on the config.pro to load.
A better example would be the tree.cfg or the syscol files which have their location defined by config.pro. I'm using the .sup file already to define the file paths for stuff that will be shared by and be the same for everyone eg hole tables, and stuff like that.
What I'd really like to do though is be able to put some kind of variable into the file path for, for example, the tree.cfg because then I could move that to the config.sup file too and have a common one for everyone.
Everyone's session of Pro starts within their own account (my docs at the mo) so what I'm having to do right now is to give everyone a unique config.pro so they can have unique tree.cfg files (also held within their own profiles).
Hope this makes things a bit clearer and once again, thanks for the help.
Cheers.

It is possible to use environments in config.pro.
Set the environment in ProE starts script:
set pro_stds=p:/pro_stds
In config.pro you can use environment:
pro_font_dir $PRO_STANDARD\font_dir

You can also use standard windows environments variable.
EX $homedrive/$homepath

Thanks jnoval - job done.
For the benefit of others, as a working example, here's what one line of my config.pro says now;

mdl_tree_cfg_file C:\users\$username\PROE\tree.cfg

Where $username is a default windows environment variable

Cheers
smiley20.gif

Goin' Mental said:
Thanks for the replys folks and yes, I probably shoud have given a bit more usefull info really;
We're working on WF4 at the moment and the example I gave (config.win) was a bit of a red-herring I suppose because, as you say, dgs, it doesen't rely on the config.pro to load.
A better example would be the tree.cfg or the syscol files which have their location defined by config.pro. I'm using the .sup file already to define the file paths for stuff that will be shared by and be the same for everyone eg hole tables, and stuff like that.
What I'd really like to do though is be able to put some kind of variable into the file path for, for example, the tree.cfg because then I could move that to the config.sup file too and have a common one for everyone.
Everyone's session of Pro starts within their own account (my docs at the mo) so what I'm having to do right now is to give everyone a unique config.pro so they can have unique tree.cfg files (also held within their own profiles).
Hope this makes things a bit clearer and once again, thanks for the help.
Cheers.

USE mdl_tree_cfg_file VARIABLE. Hope it shud work. At the moment a bit busy. Will explore n let u know.

oh gud after posting i saw this. ny wayz i also got some point and moral....i.e. before posting a reply read all posts to the topic.

This $username is some thing new for me. we used to have different user directories and different icons with working directory specified in its properties.

thanks for info.

thanks ny wayz.
Edited by: nawaz

One thing about the config.sup is it doesn't allow you to change it with a local config.pro. So, only put things in there that will be constant.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back