Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Unit Conversion Blocked

verge

I'm trying to change the units on a part, but I'm not allowed to. When I open the units manager, I can choose any units I want to convert to , but all of the action options ("set", for example) are grayed out.

The current units of the part are "custom" and include a temperature unit. I couldn't care less about temperature, I just want Pro-E default units. I'm not running thermal analysis on this part.

????????????????????????????????

Peter,

A valiant effort, but I've already tried that.
smiley5.gif
I'll keep plugging along...

Thanks for the attempt.

It's an animal that's turned me into a vegetable!

Well, we have an intern here who had a great idea that worked, although it was time-consuming enough to require me handing it off to him to do for me. His idea was to save each part as a copy and replace it. In this case, I don't really care about part names or most parameters, I just need a weight that's less than 6600 lbs. for a washer!

So, he did it for me and it worked just fine.

Our assumption is that they were instances from a family table generated by our supplier. They must have had some associations that we never really saw or understood.

It's good to have a sharp intern!
smiley2.gif
You may have seen a few of his posts lately, by the way, his name's Jonathan...nice work, Jonathan!

This is a bit too late but here it goes anyway. I saw this but was thinking of a way to change the units or if there is a config option.

But now seeing that you need to change the weight, a suggestion: you can try to change the density until you getthe weight (edit / setup / mass prop - density). If you have afew washers and a large assy their weight doesn't really matter that much so you could put the density to something like 0.000000001 depending what units you have.

I thought of that, too.

The problem is that I need all units in the overall assembly to be the same (lbs.), since I need to find a weight for the overall assembly.

Which, of course, means that I need to run a mass props analysis on it, which will be based on the analyses of the components. All of the other parts and assemblies are already in lbs., so there we have it...
smiley18.gif

It's worked out in the end, though.
smiley1.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back