Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Undo Button and Space Navigator

spidernate

There used to be a thread discussing the issue with the Space Navigator not meshing well with Pro/E and it would cause the undo button to be greyed out. The fix was to disable a driver, I think. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Nate

Below is what I remember seeing on the PTC/user exploder from Mark Nelson back in April 2010. It worked for me.

"All,
Greetings...

You don't necessarily have to uninstall the device. If you remove or rename the file "protk.dat", located at <loadpoint>\text, you can still use the device to spin, pan, zoom, etc. while re-enabling the "undo" functions within Pro/E. We have several machines with the SpacePilot and had the same issue - I simply renamed "protk.dat" to "protk.dat.OLD" and restarted Pro/E."

I had a similar issue when DFMPro add-on was installed (ie. undo wouldn't work). The fix listed above worked.

This works but it will disable your programmed buttons. To get them back you have to create a mapkey for any ProE function. Then program the buttons to the key command for that particular mapkey under the "custom functions" in the 3DX control panel.

Interesting.

The "protk.dat" is a file that Pro/E uses to load custom Pro/TOOLKIT programs. So if this problem goes away by renaming "protk.dat" to "protk.dat.old," then it means the people who wrote the program being distributed with the Space Navigator *deliberately* made the "undo" function greyed out (it's fairly straightforward to do this kind of thing in a Pro/TOOLKIT program).

That begs the question... "why?"

Should be asked to the Space Navigator people.

Edited by: wamarler

PTC made a decision that any custom application (i.e. has a reference in a protk.dat or equivalent file) will not keep the undo/redo stack. As of Wildfire 5.0, there is nothing that an application developer can do to avoid this behavior.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back