Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Uh Oh! (Corrupt Local.ddb file).

littlebum2002

OK, this one's a doozy. I'm hoping to get some help here before I am forced to talk to Pro-E customer service, which is rarely helpful.

OK, somehow my local.ddb file got corrupt, probably because it is too large (2GB!) I know, I know, I've been putting off resizing it for a long time, but now what?

I can't check files in, I can't export them. I tried ldbcompact, but it isn't working, perhaps for the same reason intralink cannot write to the file? I would just copy the files over, start a new workspace, then copy them back, but thanks to the genius way Intralink stores information, that will not work, as all files are not in my workspace folder.

Is there any possible way i can edit my local.ddb file manually? This is pretty big, I have lost months worth of work. Please help, if you can.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

There is no way that you can manually edit the local.ddb file.

If you want to recover the workspace, atleast you must have the physical files. Why the files are not in your workspace folder? If you have them, then there is a way out.

Well yes, then I have the folders from the corrupt workspaces. I moved them elsewhere on my computer. However, whenever I try to open a large assembly in them, even one I knew was working before, it tells me it cannot find some of the parts. I think this has to do with how Intralink stores part information.

Delete you local.ddb (not your .proi folder as this will take your pref files) and copy all the files out from your workspaces. You WILL NEED TO BE CAREFUL here as any files renamed in Intralink will not be renamed at Windows level. If you have been working on an assembly, the chances are that it may only be the assembly file and a few part files / drawings etc that need salvaging. As long as you have the physical files then it is possible to retrieve from your corrupt workspaces. After you have restarted Pro/E, you can add the top-level assembly etc. from Commonspace to your workspace and then retrieve the salvaged files from disk and overwrite what's in your workspace.

By all means, DO NOT delete local.ddb, because you will also loose all the changes made to the models in workspace - "local.ddb" contains all the modifications, so if you move workspace folder elsewhere on your computer you will only have objects with data, when you started/created object in WS (with other words, assemblies will not contain all the models, parts will not have all the geometry, thus regeneration will fail).

The only solution is to open the drawings/models in Pro/E and then backup them to the disk. Once you've backed up all the models, close Pro/INTRALINK, move ".proi" directory to the folder in other directory (for safety reasons).

Now, with restarting Intralink, ".proi" and "local.ddb" will be newly created. If you have any special preferences (bookmarks, scripts,...), copy them from the ".proi" folder, you moved to other directory. Create workspace with name of your choice and start opening all the drawings and models, you've backed up to the disk. Saving them will create objects in WS.

Hope this helps.

----------------

Don't delete if not necessary.

Deleting the local.ddb WILL NOT remove changes made to models in the workspace. If you are retrieving corrupt files 'through the back door', removing the file has no consequence to modified files stored on disk.

littlebum2002 said:
Well yes, then I have the folders from the corrupt workspaces. I moved them elsewhere on my computer. However, whenever I try to open a large assembly in them, even one I knew was working before, it tells me it cannot find some of the parts. I think this has to do with how Intralink stores part information.

As I said previously - only salvage the files that you really need to from your corrupt .proi folder and then perform a check out of the top level assembly into a new workspace. The reason I said earlier to delete the local.ddb and not the .proi folder is that you don't need to go through the steps of keeping your ilprefs etc. Note that deleting the local.ddb WILL remove all traces of any created workspaces, even though you still may be able to see the workspace folders in Windows (simply delete them at the same time you delete your local.ddb). Once you have the assembly in your workspace, you can open up the retrieved one from disk and overwrite the one that is in your workspace.

Thanks all. I have most of my information salvaged, but some of the parts still disappeared into the mysterious place in the sky that Intralink stores its parts in.

Methinks Pro-E needs to get a new file storage system.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back