Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Tubular Frame Design

B0ND

Hi Everyone, I'm needing a little help in designing a tubular frame for a race car (Formula SAE). I did a first design (picture attached), but when I went to analyze it using Mechanica it gave me an error stating that the geometry was invalid. I'm assuming that this is because of the way I designed the frame, which was: 1. Create datum planes, 2. Create points where I wanted intersections, 3. Create sketch between points, 4. Create a swept protrusion along the sketch from part 3. This method leads to having lots of overlap at tube intersections which I think is the main problem when it comes to analyzing my model.

What I am asking of you fine people is: Can I rectify my existing model easily so that I can perform analysis on it? What is a better way to create my next model (faster, less datum planes, etc.)? Any tips in general for modeling tubular frames?

I did a search of the forums before posting this and I came across someone asking a similar question, to which he was referred the EFX (Expert Framework Extension) that might help save time and make the process easier. Is there a way that I can get EFX as a student? If I don't need anything like this, care to explain the best way to model it?

Sorry for being such a newbie, thanks in advance for the help!

Eric

View attachment 2246

Hi Eric
U can use insert>advance>pipe command, for this u need to get co-ordinate valuesor datum points. about analysis u must put the thread in analysis forum. I think u must put welded joints in assy mode, so ur analysis will more realistic.

Thanks Zaki for the prompt reply, I'll go see what the people in the Analysis forum have to say.

Eric

Israr, could you tell me how to find Expert Framework Extension? Is it something I need to download? Is it free? Is it free for students?
Thanks,

Eric

Hi Bond,

EFX is free for universities, so your universities Pro/E admin should ask PTC and then he can get it for free. Several student race car teams design their frames with EFX here in germany, so probably a good choice.

If you have problems to get EFX through PTC let me know ([email protected]) then I will help you

STefan

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back