Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Trouble setting up a 4th axis.

ckirchen

We recently installed a 4th axis on one of our CNC mills, with the intention of using it to perform synchronous 4 axis milling (among other things).

I spent some time over the holiday break developing a machine model for verification purposes and some templates for the shop floor.

My problem is that I cannot seem to get Pro/NC to allow me to access the 4 axis sequences (surface, profile, trajectory, and engraving). For example, when I select a trajectory sequence, the only options available are "2 Axis" and "3
Axis"...no "4 Axis".

I have set up my workcell as a 4 axis workcell. In the Machine Tool Setup window (Resources>Work Center...), I have the "Machine Type" set to "Mill" and the "Number of Axes" set to "4 Axis". "Use Rotate Output" is not checked.

I have successfully opened someone else's model (found here).

Is there a config.pro option or some other step that I'm missing?

We're running WF5.0, build M080 of PROE_FoundationAdv with Pro/NC-PRODCUTION_SET.

Thanks.
Edited by: ckirchen

Chris,

I believe your problem is in your licensing, I have the same set-up as you do, and have stumbled my way through integrating a 4th axis into our arsenal. If you have Pro/NC-Production set, you can do 3 plus 1 programs but not true 4 axis work, you need the Pro/NC-Complete license for this.

View attachment 5807

Hope this helps.

Yodes

Yodes,

Thanks for posting. I had a feeling this was the case, but my salesman
at the time said that we would be capable of 4 and 5 axis simultaneous
with Pro/NC-PRODUCTION. In his defense, he was only my salesman
for a grand total of 3 months.

Are you happy with how Pro/NC-COMPLETE works? Does it contain
the functionality you hoped it would? What do you use it for?

My master plan was to set up the 4th so that we could use some of the
higher level machining sequences, such as roughing, re-roughing, and
finishing. From what I can see online though, it appears as if those
sequences don't use the 4th axis. Is that how it works? I was hoping to
have the capability to finish all sides of a complex model in one pass.

Thanks again.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back