Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Translator Inventor Models to ProE

prohammy

So here is my problem....

The company I contract for use ProE (WF1, WF3 to come in the next month). Well actually all but one engineer, who just happens to use Inventor (not sure which release). Unfortunately he happens to be the one who models the engines (big engines) and so far all he has done is create IGES/STEP outputs for use poor ProE guys to use.

Here is my question....

What is the best (ie smallest file size and greatest detail) method of exporting his Inventor files to our ProE? Is there an add-on (to either Inventor or ProE) that could help. Is there some Freeware that we could use?

Kev

PS This one guy seems to wield an extraordinary amount of power and ain't gonna change to ProE (coz the boss said so)

PTC recently announced that they are collaborating with Autodesk for improved data exchange. This won't help you in the short term. STEP is probably you best bet for now. Iges is likely to have problems making a "water tight" solid. There are 3rd part conversions but they are anything but free. Really a bad idea to be working in different packages.

That was what I tought (and yeah, I know it's a pain in the a**e to have different packages contributing to the overall design). I was hoping that there were others who had been hit by this problem that might have found a work-around or something

Kev

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back