Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

trajpar : a mac vs pc debate

Trajpar options in SolidWorks may get better with equation curves in 2009 which I havent checked out yet. Currently most options used for creating complex curvs using Tpar and VSS such ass modiling a phone cord or bent slinky can be done quite easily in SolidWorks using Twist Along Path option for sweeps.

If you want to create sin curves in Solid Works you can use twist along path and a line with amplitude length and project the 3d edge into a 2d planar sketch. this allows you to do ripple patterns and control the instances by # of loops.

If you wanted to include draft in an extrusion like most programs you'd need a blend or VSS using Trajpar. In SW this is a basic option for extrudes.

Michael

David Butz said:
To see a fiendishly clever use of trajpar driven VSS's look at the Hummingbird

That bird is awesome. Is this tutorialfrom the advanced modeling class? I took it on PTC University a few years back and there was very little on trajpar.

I have not found the soldiworks draft tool that is included in extrude that useful. Of course my philosophy for modeling is to create more features than cram a lot of features into one. 12 years ago I thought it cool to model that part in 40 features. Now with 30 thousand plus hours on Pro/E I tend to make each feature so darn simple that it's nothing for me to redefine when fails occur. It's a whole new way of thinking.

Send over the humming bird. Can I get that out of PTCU? I made now 20 little examples of trajpar variables users can utilize in projects.

I should be at Road America today with NESBA http://www.nesba.com :( I was at the IOWA Speedway this weekend on the race track with several ME's from John Deere that use Pro/ENGINEER.

Edited by: design-engine

Question:

How do I do a VSS with respect to a graph in Solidworks?

Can you do something similar in Solidworks yet? On another
discussion board I am discussing Reynolds Numbers and Aerodynamic forms
and I did not think Soldworks can do that just yet..... I wanted to be
sure.

Road America Tuesday with http://www.sportbiketracktime.com if bike prep and parts come on time.

Edited by: design-engine

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back