Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Tracesketch and Surface Edit

backstreets

Hey Y'all...I have been a long time lurker and long time user. Sad to say, I have been using Pro/E since version 5.0 (actually 3.0 including Pre/Production release). I was part of a Beta Test program at the old job. I had a hard time moving to Wildfire since I was so set in my ways, but have been giving Wildfire a whirl. It is funny, since I remember mocking the UG and SDRC users who were reluctant to upgrade when I was a young'un.

I have a few quick questions...when using Surface/Edit in ISDX, can you preserve a CenterLine Normal condition when doing a surface edit? Seems like I lost the CL condition when I did the Surface Edit but I may have been missing something.

Also, has anyone spent time comparing surfaces created using Pro/Surface vs ISDX? I see some distinct differences and am interested to hear other's experiences.

Look forward to talking to folks here. I have uncovered a few things I never knew before trying to get WildFire to behave like I wanted (Rule based layering, flydown custom menus).

All the best
Mike

Edited by: backstreets

I used to work at Bell Labs or BNR (same right) ... 1992 RTP North Carolina and I spent much of my carrier helping ID'ers bust out design models for production.Do we know each other?

I could talk all day about the comparison of ISDX curves and Pro/SURFACE type curves.

As far as surface edit, I have pushed that tool for 10 years using Alias Studio and have developed a 2 day class that revolves around ISDX surface edit. What do you mean by center line? [url]http://www.proetools.com/courses/pro_surface/level8surfaceed it.htm[/url]
Edited by: design-engine

Hi Bart -

By centerline...I mean you have surface created which is normal to a centerline plane...assuming a good percentage of geometry is CL symmetric...if in ISDX you constrain that surface to be normal to the centeline plane and then apply a surface edit, do you still ensure the CL normalcy is maintained after the edit?

Thank for your reply.

Would be interested to talk with you more about ISDX curves/surfaces vs Pro/Surface equivelants...I have a very unhealthy understanding from real world experience and would like to compare that against what others have seen.

I tested Pro/E Ver 3 back in the day...I think the first real release was Ver 5 in 1994. I still remember the clean rooms full of Sparc Workstations. Crazy...

Edited by: backstreets

oh... I see. If you want to maintain what we call 'implied tangency' or normal to the datum plane during Surface edit then do not touch the first row of CV's in the mesh. By CV I mean the first rung of hulls that can be modified. The same goes for any other tangency constraint to another surface (as opposed to normal to DTM)

Gets real interesting manipulating with Curvature too. Just like in A-Class modeling in Alias Studio, you don't want to touch the first or second rung when you have created curvature constraint. PTC out did themselves with this tool. Works very close to like how Alias Studio does without the scale function.... more on that later.

By the way, PTC has not given vocabulary definitions to all the manipulator geometry inside that tool so I am using the same terminology as would be in Alias Studio.

CV: Control Verticies< look that up in goolge
Hull: is the puppeteers line that connects the CV's

Bart -

Thanks very much...I think I left the first 2 rows untouched and still disturbed the Cl normalcy...I need to play with this some more...thanks again for your reply!!

I posted a couple youtube Videos ... search ISDX and you will find the bionic finger that talks about that.

Welcome to the forum. Good first question.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back