Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Tip: set work dir in 3 clicks

Isair

Hi all
This is a video tip how to set up your working directory just in 3 mouse clicks. This is very useful if your working directory is deep buried under folder structure.

File size 1Mb:
2006-03-06_111949_set_working_dir.zip

Comments please
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Isair

Huh, avi files should be opened with win media player.

But in short:
While in Proe's browser navigate to your working directory i.e. Project_2, add this directory to Favorites (RMB, Add to Favorites).
This is necessary to do only first time.
Now when you go to change your working directory, instead navigating trough folders, just select Browser Favorites (little icon on right side), select your desire working directory, MMB.
Total clicks: 3

Setting wroking directory in NO click: when working with multiple projects at the same time, it is useful to setup multiple desktop icons with startup directory set to working directory od the project. This way you don't need to set up working directory everytime you start Pro/E, but there are some limitations:
<UL>
<LI>when you often need to change working, directory desktop icons are not suitable</LI>
<LI>when having parts in different directories or in subdirectories, then you have to setup search path file</LI>
<LI>when using parts from different projects, you should consider about implementing PDM solution, i.e. Intralink or PDMLink</LI>[/list]

I think i might try that DB, i have a similar directory setup, but changing working directories always seems a PITA... Though i do have trouble remembering my own name at times so lots of mnemonics will be a challenge!.
smiley36.gif
.. But sounds better than the method i use right now..

Taz

Sample mapkey created in 2001 but still works in WF2 which changes
working directory to the 5173 folder and then goes into Open Assembly
mode (activated by the oa mapkey at the end)

mapkey 5173 @MAPKEY_LABELcd Versatile Ridging directory;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`1 `File`;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `File.psh_working_dir`;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Update `file_open` `Inputname` `F:\\MCAD\\PatrickM\\Versatile\\5173`;\

mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `file_open` `Open`;%oa

I am sure the forum formatting will muck up the text wrapping in some way or another but you
should be able to work out what to edit to suit your own purposes..

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back