Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

TEMPLATE....

coolnijo

Hi All,

I am trying to create a new set of templates.We have three different type of tolerencing system.Loose tolerence for wood fixtures,medium for hybrid fixtures and tight tolerence for metal fixtures.I already saved this tolerence system in the symbol library.I want the system(pro engineer)to ask which tolerence system to be used whenwe open the template to ensure that nobody will miss this tolerence system.I am sure that there will be someway to do this.Do it need any sort of programming?.Any help will be appreciated.Come up with your ideas.

Nijo

My thought is you could createa directory for each type of fixture. Create a config.pro file in each directory that contains information such as directories for templates, start parts, etc.. You could also include the template parts, drawing, etc. touse when a person creates a new file in config.pro. Where I work they use a start file directory. When the person creates a new part it give a dialog box that allows them to pick which template file to use. Your template files for parts, drawings, assemblies, etc. should be setup with the appropriate parameters for the tolerancing system used. Familiarize yourself with the creation of start parts, drawings, templates, config.pro options, etc. that you want to see and work from there.

I think his could be done easily with scripts and shortcuts.

Create 3 shortcuts, each with different "start-in" values, which correspond to separate start-updirectories with their own settings contained therein.Use a script to prompt the user for the tolerancing system, then launch the correct shortcut. The script could be server controlled, with a single shortcut to it on the users desktop.

Does this make sense?

Hi KD & JIMS,

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice.Iwill make my problem more clear to you .

We have this tolerencing system in the template. We have three different type of tolerencing system.I want to recall the respective template as per requirement.And I need the system to ask which tolerncing system the user want to follow.I know u can browse the right template.But I don

I see what your trying to do now. I could be wrong as I haven't delt with this much, but I'm not sure the system can be as automated as you want it to be.

Typically you set your template to the most common tolerance, say 2 decmial places, then as you create (or show) your dimensions, you edit it to update the placeholder.

If you do want to change it, i think the script idea that I had will work, however: what do you mean when you say that you saved it in the "symbol library"? The tolerances are not symbols, they should be parametrically embedded into your design...

I use the model tolerance parameters in our formats:

x.x = &linear_tol_0_0
x.xx = &linear_tol_0_00

Same can be done for &angular_tol_0_0 etc. Not sure how you would handle degree/minute/second angles.

Using this technique makes sure that the tolerances in the model are correctly shown in the drawing.

Just make three templates, each with the different tolerance blocks. Then when making a new drawing, choose the proper template.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back