Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Tangential Hole Patterning Question

polakse

Hello All. I'm wondering if anybody has some tips or suggestions to help me create a tangential hole pattern as efficiently as possible. I have a hollow, cylindrical sleeve and there is going to be a pattern of many (possibly hundreds) of holes drilled through the sides of the sleeve. The holes are oriented "tangentially" to the ID surface of the sleeve. All the holes in the pattern will be dimensioned with the same "offset" between the thru hole centerline and the sleeve's axis/centerline. The holes will also be evenly spaced around the circumference of the sleeve. For example, if there's 4 holes, they will all be 90 degrees apart, they will all be tangent to the ID of the sleeve, and all the thru-hole centerlines will be offset from the sleeve axis/centerline by the same amount. An example of the placement for a single/leading thru hole is attached.
View attachment 2553
I am looking for the most efficient way to define the leading hole and the pattern. I'm concerned with efficiency because there are some cases in which the centerline offset will be zero (thus, creating a "radial" hole), and there can potentially be hundreds of thru-holes. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Scott

hope this helps, Picture paints a 1000 words.

View attachment 2555

you can then pattern via a table or spreadsheet, for any amount of holes.
Also unpattern it leaving u with lots of entities

if you still need help i will explain it better. When have more time.

Excellent, thanks for the reply! I created the hole/pattern very similarly, except I only created one plane per hole group, where the plane is rotated around the sleeve axis by some angle, the hole is perpendicular to the rotated plane, and the hole centerline is located on that rotated plane by defining an offset from the sleeve centerline and an offset from the bottom of the sleeve. Seems to work ok. Is there any drawback to defining the offset between centerlines, as opposed to using offset parallel planes, as in your example above?

Thanks again,
Scott

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back