Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Swept Blend - Secondary Trajectory

jsantangelo

Can someone show an example or two of how to use the Secondary Trajectory for a Swept Blend properly? I'm using WF4 / M040. Nothing came up in a search for Secondary Trajectory.

Cheers!

Edited by: jsantangelo

Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on it by the looks of your image. Just add your beginning & ending sections & your good to go.

Digging through some older posts I came across something that Jeff4136 posted (bottom of post) that explains a lot.
smiley4.gif

I'm not asking how to do a surface for the image shown. I was just using that image to show a second trajectory. I ws asking for examples on what the use of the second trajectory in a Swpet Blend is used for.
smiley11.gif

The Swept Blend function uses only one trajectory, the secondary trajectory is just used to control X-Trajectory (if this option is used) or for the section plane to be normal to this secondary trajectory.

So I am able to reproduce the example Jeff4136 gave in the above linked post.

Now when I try to use the same secondary as the VSS in the Swept Blend it has no influence on the shape of the surface. Is it because of the way I created the sketches?

I've attached the file to create the above screen shots. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have a simple example of how to use the secondary trajectory in a Swept Blend I can look at please? I am using WF4/M040.

2008-09-30_123651_9_30_2008_swept_blend_2nd.prt.zip

Cheers!

Edited by: jsantangelo

Even if you could do something in VSS , it has nothing to do whit swept blend
smiley2.gif
thats 2 totaly diffrent features. (even if the names indicates somehting else...)

Here is an example of using 2 curves in swept blend:

Its a swept blend whit 2 curves. One is controlling the "sweep trajectory" (its the banana shaped curve) . And the other one, (the straight line... whichlies on a "angled datumplane") is controlling the "x section" of the swept blend.

in this case, the secondary curve will make the sweptblend to look likeif you are using theoption "constant normal direction". but instead of choosing a plane for the section to be constant to, you got a curve for that....

(in other words , for those of you who have been using pro/E for a while and misses the old option "normal to trajectroy" , here it is...)

//Tobias

Thank you all again for your input. I'm starting to get a better idea how to use the different functions in Pro/e even though I've been using it for over 5 years
smiley9.gif
That's what happens when you go from designing block head parts to surfaces.
smiley36.gif

I do a one hour presentation titled "everything you can do with a VSS". I constantly add to the list because it is a powerful and complex tool.

The problem your having is for the VSS tool in setting up the sketch plane.

If you want to select the section to follow the two trajectories then change one option ... switch to constant section. If your having a problem setting up the sketch plane (because that's what the VSS tool wants to do) then make sure you have a perpendicular trajectory at one point. In this way the tool can reach over to accommodate the other trajectories. That is the sketch plane.... a plane that intersects the trajectories normal to one (default is normal to the first).

Edited by: design-engine

design-engine said:
I do a one hour presentation titled "everything you can do with a VSS". I constantly add to the list because it is a powerful tool.

The problem your having is for setting up the sketch plane.

I've looked at all your files on the Talk page (racecar, helmet, etc). Very informative and learning a lot from your examples. Unfortunately we don't have ISDX here. Took a stab at your "smile" part.

I'd love to go take your surfacing class. Don't know if I can talk my work into it.

Are you coming to the Sacramento area anytime soon? Thunderhill isn't that far from here
smiley2.gif

that smile part is one place where Pro/SURFACE shows better results that what an ISDX quilt has to offer. In this case Completing the geometry with one Pro/SURFACE quilt creates a symmetric tangency. The same feature using ISDX causes tension in one side or the other.

Would love to see you sometime soon. We get quite a few contractors each month for that weeklong class as that class has become quite popular over the years. Its a lot of information to absorb in one week yet leaves users confident still.

What do you think of the use of underlying curve geometry to make fast changes to the geometry?

Okay.. I see your might be a racing fan.I now have two Yamaha R6 trackbikes in my garage.One is all in parts....

jeff4136 said:
Swept Blend is a function I rarely use and don't know the
in's & out's but here's a doodle that may help you get a
handle on it, though it looks like it may have been changed
a bit for newer versions. Don't think there's an X-Vector
option with the old interface(?).
2008-10-01_125337_swept_blend--wf2--.prt.zip

I haven't used it but the X-Vector option is available in WF2 but only for selected trajectories.

I think you want the 'radio button' for the 'N' or normal trajectory for lining up the geometry.

Im board so if you want to upload the model I'll play with it some.

For the swept bled try changing the origin trajectory to the straight line and the secondary trajectory to the arc. For Secondary, select "X" and "N" or just "N". When I did that both cases gave the same results as the VSS.

Hey Bart!! can you please explain what you mean by:

If your having a problem setting up the sketch plane (because that's what the VSS tool wants to do) then make sure you have a perpendicular trajectory at one point. In this way the tool can reach over to accommodate the other trajectories. That is the sketch plane.... a plane that intersects the trajectories normal to one (default is normal to the first).

//Tobias

I'm having a difficult time duplicating Jeff's first swept blend in Wildfire 4.0. Anybody else looked at it? Did the swept blend functionality change from 2.0 to 4.0? When I select the straight line trajectory as the Origin and select the curved sketch as the secondary trajectory, the sections won't go to sketcher. When I select the trajectories in reverse order, I get an arched feature following the curved sketch only.

mgnt8,

Does it work as expected if you tick "N" for the Secondary Trajectory?
It's my (guessed at) understanding that, for the Swept Blend, the sketcher
constraint references (origins) will be taken from the Origin Trajectory
and section plane Normal and / or X Vector can be defined with the Secondary
(differing from VSS in that there's no sketcher ref created for the Secondary).

Tobias: Remember the model where we discussed 'everything you can do with a sweep' I need a name for that model but one has not come to me.

Recall the strait line that was used as a normal trajectory?Something creative needs to happen to the model in question. If the curve jettisons outward at 90 degrees you in effect get the strait line. Or more importantly a sketching plane that works with all the curves of the model.

My description is specific to one model ... This description may only make sense to those who participated in that one hour portion of my workshop.

I wish there was a place on the forum

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back