Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sweep Cut on Drinking Glass

I do think it all is possible with single Variable Section Sweep cut patterned through the axis.

you can use sketches, project them on the surface, you can use curve through points and so forth, to avoid ISDX

in general good tutorial bowlofnoodle, waiting for more...

Last edited:
annad_m_s > Without using ISDX you can use helical sweep. But helical sweep, you can't make the ends become a point. You might be able to do it using surfacing tools.

I am planning to do some more car tutorials. I am just busy with work.

I still have to see the tutorial, if you don't have ISDX you can do something like that using VSS and relations, I tend to avoid helical sweeps at all and use VSS with relations for that. The base feature of that engraving is a knurl, if you draw a sketch and project it on the surface it will provide a slightly different result than using a VSS with a relation or an helical sweep, but we are talking of very subtle differences

I'll elaborate my workflow, it's a variation of what I usually do when knurl is needed (like on my Ibanez Edge bridge model ;D).

I always start with a segment sketched along the axis of the glass, it will be the extension of the cuts. I add a VSS with a trajpar variable angle to model a ribbon that will serve as the center profile of the cut (fig 1)

Then I create a GRAPH feature to control how the cut will go deep in the glass (fig 2)

Using the two curves from the "ribbon" I define another VSS for the cutting tool. There are two tricks here: first is that since I'm not allow to let a segment go to zero, I have to use an offset for the depth of the tool. Then I define a sketch (fig 3) where the tool distance from the inner trajectory is driven by a relation, through the graph (fig 4) (notice the "+5" in the relation to prevent the segment to go to zero and add further control)

Well, that's basically all, I generate the above VSS as surface, pattern, solidify, pattern. Then mirror it and repeat the patterning process. The result is fig 5. I can control the flow of the cut with the graph, and it's size with the sketches.

All without ISDX :)

Paolo

Attachments

• 2013-07-22_120149.jpg
    2013-07-22_120149.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2013-07-22_115120.jpg
    2013-07-22_115120.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 2013-07-22_115459.jpg
    2013-07-22_115459.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 20