Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surfaces without needing to split lines

dt03mbb

Hi Guys

Theres an issue with surfacing I have never been able to solve. I've recently started using ISDX, but still I can't do this.

Its simple, imagine you want to create a domed shape - though lets say its a-symmetrical (so we need to define it with curves). Is there any way to create this domed surface by:

1)drawing the base curve (i.e. the footprint curve) on a horizontal plane
2)then drawing two more curves in the verticle plane to define the cross sectional curvature of this dome
3)make these into the dome

currently using boundry blends or style, the best i can get is to split all these curves into pieces, and make up this dome in sections - a massive waste of time.
It seems such a simple operation, is there a way to do this?

Thanks for the help

Matt

Thanks

picture!I often use parametric curves in one plane and another parallel then ISDX curves in the cross direction.

It is a good idea to start laying out your design on the front datum plane and then in the top plane layout your plan profile.

Its hard to offer modeling technique w/o even a sketch.

I'm at PTCUSER in the hotel lobby and things are about to kick off. Ill check back at lunch (our lunch is five hrs off from UK) Orlando EST.
Edited by: design-engine

Thanks for replying!
..can i upload a sketch here?

so is there a way i can use my plan profile as a boundary, without having to split it into two lines, i.e. create my 'dome' from two half domes?

cheers appreciated

yes I found the same thing.

An example is where you need to make a cap for the end of a wing.

There is a webcast from PTC of an airfoil which was made from an extruded profile of a continous curve. In order to create the cap on the end of the wing you need to split the curve somehow.

Also I noticed that if you have a tangency point in your curve, that tangency point effectively creates a split........if I remember correctly.....

You can use "section dome" or "radius dome" commands to
create domes. Its located at >Insert>advanced>section dome.

It would be better if you upload sketches .....

Sorry you missunderstand me, I mean an A-symmetrical shape, i.e. we can't use a dome, a plane wing tip as JHNCAJ mentioned

There are over 10 ways to generate your first surface for creating the wing tip. Some programs like Alias users utilize a technique of modifying a spear with only one knot in the geometry and manipulate it .. trim it back and tie that geometry into other math driven geometry.

upload an image.We could have fun with this but it is hard to visualize your project.
Edited by: design-engine

The first feature would be the extruded shape of the aerofoil. However that curve needs to be in at least two pieces. I've found that it cannot be continous.

Also in the sketcher mode any tangency situations ...saywhere a curve meets a straight line.....the "continuous" curve is in fact treated as two distinct lines in style.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back