Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surface stitching problem

marker4x4

I really DO hope, that this is a dumb question, and the solution to this is really simple
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif

OK, here we go:

sometimes - and I can't figure what causes this - Surface and Profile sequences are out of control and the toolpath is completely berserk. See the picture:

stitching_problem01.jpg

It's all straight forward Surface Seq.; continuous cut (paralell to X) with a ballmill, both tolerance and scallop set to .0001". One patch (on the right) cuts OK, the other (left) is having a fit. I've tried different settings and whatnot, no difference. The problem is, this part is pretty large, and you can't see the bad sections on the screen at all. They show on the part allright though....
Will someone PLEASE help...

-mark

Edited by: marker4x4

You might do a "Geometry Check" on the model. Sometimes, if there is a problem with the model, the cutter path cannot stay on the surfaces.

Also, where did the surface "joint" come from? Is this a revoled surface?

appinmi said:
You might do a "Geometry Check" on the model. Sometimes, if there is a problem with the model, the cutter path cannot stay on the surfaces.

Also, where did the surface "joint" come from? Is this a revoled surface?

No, it's extruded. Based on import geometry though (chain of curves) - that might be the culprit since ProE isn't very forgiving with imported stuff, however it's not accepteble no matter what. Also, fillets and radii are ProE's, so it's a mixture, but it doesn't seem to make any difference for the program; it throws fits in random places. Arrghhh.

appinmi said:
No, it's extruded. Based on import geometry though (chain of curves) - that might be the culprit since ProE isn't very forgiving with imported stuff, however it's not accepteble no matter what. Also, fillets and radii are ProE's, so it's a mixture, but it doesn't seem to make any difference for the program; it throws fits in random places. Arrghhh.

If it is imported geometry is then how is it showing up ? As solid or as a surface (magenta with possible yellow lines) ?
If you aren't using absolute accuracy already you could try to switch to absolute accuracy and recalculate the toolpath. You need to have
enable_absolute_accuracy yes
in your config.pro
Then go to Edit -> Setup -> Accuracy and change the accuracy to absolute accuracy 0.01 mm or 0.005 mm or the equivalent in inch. There is a chance that you can't do this anymore and that the part crashes. Normally this should be done while importing the original geometry.

Try changing the direction of cut and maybe ebeven the scan type. If that doesn't work, sometimes just changing the cutter size works.

I'm assuming you converted the import surfaces to a solid, if not make you the toolpath is cutting the top side of the surface instead of the bottom.

appinmi said:
If it is imported geometry is then how is it showing up ? As solid or as a surface (magenta with possible yellow lines) ?....

All I've been given was the IGS file with part's loft surface. Actually it wasn't that bad, I've seen worse
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif

I'll try the setting you mentioned and see what happens. Always something, eh?

Mark,

Have you tried the merge surface under the profile sequence cut options? Under Profile cut options you can choose Mill Suface, Create Surface, Add, Copy, ... Then Merge. Browser Navigation Tool Bar) will look similar to this ...

View attachment 2092

Part before Merge

View attachment 2093

Part with Merge Surface Created.

View attachment 2094

Merge Surface by itself.

View attachment 2095

Merging sufaces can fill voids to be treated as single surface or in your case hopfully combine two sufaces and treat it as one conforming suface.

Hope this helps!

ncprog said:
Mark,

Have you tried the merge surface under the profile sequence cut options? ...

No, I haven't tried that. My part is a solid part, with the imported surface used to create the cavity that I'm trying to machine. Having said that, I've tried to substitute/replace as much importrd geom. with ProE stuff as I could, knowing the trouble ahead.

The machined area consists of many small patches, fillets, etc. and merging it all could be fun, but it's worth trying I guess.

Thanks for the tip,

Edited by: marker4x4

You might try saving out your file as a neutral file and then bringng it back into proe. If your problem is caused by import math, this should help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back