Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

surface ripple

I'd love to know an answer to this one. Every style feature I make it seems ends up with ripples like this. I've not had much success in removing them. If there's a trick, I'd love to know.

blend out the curves as if you are using bondo and a rasp to smooth her out.

comb3900.jpg

ISDX surfaces by nature all force tangency or g2 automatically so they tend to hold some kinetic energy... Taut so to speak. Blend the curves out and maybe go with an internal curve to smooth out the tension. Another technique that you might barrow form our Alias user counter parts is to not preform a trim on a surface unless it is absolutely necessary. there is still a bit of tension in the surfacee extending from the round on the left. five min tho ....

PS. I did this effort in a Connecticut Shick surfacing class. ;) while I showed those engineers how cool mcadcentral is.

Edited by: design-engine

You can use boundary blends also.

I've fooled around with a few curves and settings, if you spend some time you should be able to get something better:

We make jokes in the office often on model car projects where the car will never be made... just exported to Maya and rendered. The joke is: to get g2 continuity we use more jpeg compression so it looks like g2 across the boundaries.

The truth is it takes an exponential amount of time to get a-class surfaces in Pro/E or Alias studio. Its tinny subtle tweaks and very small modifications to get the light reflections prefect.

north3:

To get the g2 in the other direction... the model was set up incorrectly. note the image. Your underlying geometry has to be at the same level. The curves in the second direction should be g2 as well. They are not currently so making the ISDX should not be able to reach g2 continuity.

comb3901.jpg

Thank you for the straight talk input, Bart.
I'm sure you've heard the old saw about a coat of paint and sins.
I'm developing a real problem with people that offer pictures,
which a coat of paint can't hold a candle to, as ~evidence~ of
solutions or skill. Nothing personal and it is, after all, my
problem.

If North3 didn't catch your meaning; the G1 circular arc Round
needs to go if you want to use the edge chain as a G2 boundary.

The rest ~should~ amount to adjusting trim boundaries and making
sure any additional definition or constraint is compatible. Just
~how~ one evaluates compatibility, except by trial and error or
educated / experienced guess, is beyond me.

I guess, in the end, I'd like to get the impression that ISDX is
capable of creating surfaces of equal or greater quality, given
appropriate input, when compared to those created with some of
the tools. It's a curiosity thing and I guess I'm not curious
enough yet to check it out for myself.

jeff

I had some night sleepless because of your models, trying to figure them out
smiley4.gif

all those feats which stay in the background and had such valid task - two short looks are not enough to see these models through

they stay for me as inspiration all time long - yeah I know it looks like I lick your boots now(or how it is in english - suck up to somebody?, am I right?:))))

anyway great stuff

I have some sleepless nights because of them, too.
smiley36.gif

This is all sorta experimental stuff, pushing my own envelope. Some, at least, seems to have common practical application. If something doesn't make sense, holler and I'll see if I can remember why I did whatever it was...

fine, I put some of such question on "some surface behaviour...." considering your car

surely, I gonna add some more according to your file attached here, and maybe that one with airplane

> question on "some surface behaviour"

Got it. I don't often follow the longer, graphics rich discussions
unless I'm getting a lot out of them. Pages take too long to load
on my slow DUN. PM me if there's something specific (and of value)
you think I might add to discussion.

cheers jeff 4136 ,thanks for taking the time to show me your ideas. i dont use variable section sweep very often but think i should spend some time trying to get the hang of it.
in a previous post you mentioned that the corner round would have to go, to get g2 but what would you suggest to replace it ,if the design required a similar rad on that corner?
do you think making all of the design from style surfaces rather than vss s would give better reults ?
i ask because a lot of my designs seem to involve quite defined shapes having to blend into each other and this all ways causes me problems .
any thoughts would be appreciated

I kinda think people often (?) impose G2 constraints, when what they
really want is simply a smooth coherent blend, not realizing that G2
constraints will hinder the effort. But before contributing to global
warming with my greenhouse gas emissions; will something like the (more
along the lines of jraquet's solution) attached fulfill your requirements?

2008-01-22_221841_comb_nuther_bb--wf2--.prt.zip
Edited by: jeff4136

jeff
thanks very much, this is a great solution. i suppose i got all wound up trying to do this in style......
cheers

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back