Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surface region in Idependent mode

denisvragolan

Hi to all.

I work on some 3D models. How can I make a surface region in Pro/Mechanica Independent. How can I split existing surface. I don't want to trim it, jus split. Is there any way to do this.

When I make surface over existing surface (that originates from3D model)and do AutoGEM, solid elements that arecreatedfollow surface that I made, but when I put Load or Constrain to that new surface and check a model, Pro/Mech informs me that my surface is not connected to any solid.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.

I have not used independent mode but I believe you might be able to use the same technique as that used within Wildfire. Yousimply create a datumcurve on the surface which you want to split. If it is a flat surface, you can just sketch a curve on it (otherwise, you will have to create a datum planefor sketchingand thenproject the curve onto the surface). Then you select the curve for dividing the surface. Using Mechanica within Wildfire, the picks are Features>Surf Region>Create>Select. After that, you select the curve and then the surface you want to split using that curve.

Hope this helps

Hi.

It doesn't help me much, but thanks anyway. I am familiar with that approach but I wanted to get into Independent mode where I can control my model more precisely than in Integrated mode.Independent modehas totally (and archaic) interface that has different philosophy.

Thanks.

As I understand it,independent mode is obsolete now. When Iwas at"ptc certified" training for Mechanica, the instructor told us that you can pretty much do everyting in integrated mode in the latest version of Wildfire. Perhaps this is untrue. What are you trying to do?
Edited by: rmckinley

This is how the story goes: "One day I was looking on the internet for some tutorials about contact analysis and I stumbled upon some presentation in Power Point that opened my eyes about power ofIndependent mode. You can download it from

[url]http://www.elite-consulting.com/DL_Files/Contact%20Analysis. zip[/url]

if you like. So, thenI tried to find how all other things are done in Independent mode. One of things is defining surface region (or doing what is necessary to simulate applying load or constrain on a portion of surface). I know from theory that simulating continous load on a surface is tricky thing and I would like Pro/Mech to do it, i.e. I want to choose a surface and let Pro/Mech to distribute discretisized loads to nodes of finite elements."

So, I do not have a concrete problem but I still want to know how to do it.

Thanks.

Bye.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back